Women’s water polo athletes receive All-American honors and national team selections

July 5, 2013, 9:00 p.m.

The long list of accolades for the Stanford women’s water polo team continues to grow this summer, as six Cardinal players were recently named All-Americans by the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches (ACWPC). Five current and former Stanford players were also named to the U.S. Water Polo National Team.

(DON FERIA/stanfordphoto.com)
Melissa Seidemann ’13 was named ACWPC Player of the Year and is one of five current and former Stanford players who will play for the U.S. National Team this summer. (DON FERIA/stanfordphoto.com)

Senior Melissa Seidemann, in addition to being named a first-team All-American for the fourth time in her career, was also named the ACWPC Player of the Year for her outstanding play and leadership. This marks the third straight year that a Cardinal player has been awarded the honor.

Freshman Maggie Steffens was also named a first-team All-American by the ACWPC. Joining Seidemann and Steffens in All-American honors were junior Annika Dries and sophomore Kiley Neushul on the second team, and senior Kate Baldoni and junior Kaley Dodson, who both received honorable mentions.

Dries, Seidemann, Steffens and Neushul, along with alumna Lauren Silver ’09, also claimed five out of the 14 spots on the U.S. National Team that is preparing for the 2013 World Championships later this month.

After helping the United States claim third at the World League Super Final last month in Beijing, the quintet will again represent the nation as the national team kicks off the championships in Barcelona on July 21.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.