Langsdorf's header is saved and that'll do it. Santa Barbara defeats @StanfordMSoccer 1-0.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Bashti has a header go just wide. Only a minute left.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3 minutes to go. All out attack on from Stanford.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
A series of UCSB injuries has slowed the second half. 12 minutes remaining with Stanford still trailing 1-0.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Second corner for the Card in as many minutes here late in the second half.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Now 18 minutes on the clock. A little more urgency coming from Stanford.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card certainly on the attack. Still 25 minutes to go.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Morris finds Bashti in the middle on a counter attack, but his shot is saved. 29 minutes left, still 1-0 UCSB.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Long-range shot from Verso sails high. Card searching for an equalizer, 35 minutes left.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford clinches 19th consecutive Directors’ Cup

Although the race was the closest in history, the result was the same as usual as Stanford claimed the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup, awarded annually to the nation’s best intercollegiate athletic program, for the 19th straight year.

Kristie Ahn_Nicole Gibbs

Stanford juniors Nicole Gibbs (left) and Kristie Ahn (right) led the women’s tennis team to the national championship and helped Stanford keep the Directors’ Cup on the Farm for the 19th straight year. (DAVID ELKINSON/stanfordphoto.com)

With all sports except baseball completed, Stanford finished with 1261.25 total points, just 41.50 points ahead of second-place Florida. Michigan, UCLA and Penn State rounded out the top five.

The winner of the award is determined by assigning points based on a university’s finish in up to 10 women’s sports and 10 men’s sports. Since the award’s inception in 1992-93, the Cardinal has won every title except the inaugural edition, which went to the University of North Carolina.

A few weeks ago, there was some concern on the Farm that this could be the year when the streak ended. The Cardinal was in first place after a fall season marked by Stanford football’s Rose Bowl victory and a Final Four finish for the women’s soccer team, but fell to second behind Michigan after the winter season.

However, strong performances by women’s tennis (No. 1) women’s water polo (No. 2), women’s track and field (No. 6) and women’s golf (No. 13) allowed Stanford to hold off the competition by the slimmest of margins.

The women’s tennis team’s national championship — which came after dispatching No. 1 Florida in the semifinals — both locked up the Directors’ Cup and kept alive Stanford’s streak of 37 years with an NCAA team national championship.

Final Directors’ Cup standings will be released after the completion of the College World Series, but regardless of that result, Stanford will win the award.

Contact Jana Persky at jpersky ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Jana Persky

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.