RT @DavidMLombardi: The news out of Stanford presser: LBs Hemschoot, Palma out. Noor Davis expanded depth role vs USC. Lil concerning given…: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Zach Hoffpauir will start at safety opposite Jordan Richards this Saturday for Stanford.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to 13th in the AP poll.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford clinches 19th consecutive Directors’ Cup

Although the race was the closest in history, the result was the same as usual as Stanford claimed the Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup, awarded annually to the nation’s best intercollegiate athletic program, for the 19th straight year.

Kristie Ahn_Nicole Gibbs

Stanford juniors Nicole Gibbs (left) and Kristie Ahn (right) led the women’s tennis team to the national championship and helped Stanford keep the Directors’ Cup on the Farm for the 19th straight year. (DAVID ELKINSON/stanfordphoto.com)

With all sports except baseball completed, Stanford finished with 1261.25 total points, just 41.50 points ahead of second-place Florida. Michigan, UCLA and Penn State rounded out the top five.

The winner of the award is determined by assigning points based on a university’s finish in up to 10 women’s sports and 10 men’s sports. Since the award’s inception in 1992-93, the Cardinal has won every title except the inaugural edition, which went to the University of North Carolina.

A few weeks ago, there was some concern on the Farm that this could be the year when the streak ended. The Cardinal was in first place after a fall season marked by Stanford football’s Rose Bowl victory and a Final Four finish for the women’s soccer team, but fell to second behind Michigan after the winter season.

However, strong performances by women’s tennis (No. 1) women’s water polo (No. 2), women’s track and field (No. 6) and women’s golf (No. 13) allowed Stanford to hold off the competition by the slimmest of margins.

The women’s tennis team’s national championship — which came after dispatching No. 1 Florida in the semifinals — both locked up the Directors’ Cup and kept alive Stanford’s streak of 37 years with an NCAA team national championship.

Final Directors’ Cup standings will be released after the completion of the College World Series, but regardless of that result, Stanford will win the award.

Contact Jana Persky at jpersky ‘at’ stanford.edu.