Gibbs advances to NCAA singles final

Stanford junior Nicole Gibbs has just one match to go in her bid to repeat as NCAA singles champion after rolling over No. 31 Breaunna Addison of Texas by a 6-1, 6-1 score in the semifinals.

Stanford junior Nicole Gibbs, the 2012 NCAA singles champion, advanced to the 2013 singles final with a 6-1, 6-1 semifinal win on Sunday. (David Elkinson/stanfordphoto.com)

Gibbs will now take on Nebraska’s No. 11 Mary Weatherholt in the finals on Monday in Champaign, Ill., where the entire tournament has been held.

Last year, Gibbs defeated teammate Mallory Burdette in an all-Stanford final to take the singles title. Burdette turned pro after the season.

With a win on Monday, Gibbs would be Stanford’s first repeat champion since Amber Liu ’06 did it in 2003-2004.  Gibbs would also become the first player to win the NCAA team and singles titles in the same season since 2009, when Duke’s Mallory Cecil captured the double. Gibbs helped lead the Cardinal to a dramatic NCAA team championship on May 21.

Gibbs has not dropped a set in the tournament thus far in beating No. 47 Yang Pang (Arkansas), No. 58 Ronit Yurovsky (Michigan), No. 4 Christina Sanchez-Quintanar and No. 16 Yana Koroleva (Clemson) before facing off with Addison.

The semifinal match was Gibbs’ second consecutive match that was forced indoors due to weather, but it didn’t appear to have any impact on  the junior’s performance as Gibbs easily defeated Addison in under an hour for her 13th consecutive win. Gibbs has lost just once in the month of May during her entire career.

Coverage of the final can be found at GoStanford.com or ncaa.com.

Contact Jana Persky at jpersky ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email [email protected].