Shaw: No-call on Owusu hit was "questionable": 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
First and goal Stanford with 29 seconds remaining. Let's see which team wants it more.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another catch for Arcega-Whiteside, who is now Stanford's second leading reciver: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Trenton Irwin has 20 more yards than the rest of Stanford combined.: 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford gets the stop. Cardinal have 2:05, no timeouts, need a touchdown.: 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Inside look at Stanford Track and Field: Day 3

NEW (Page 3)

Hey all,

Tuesday was a relatively quiet day for Stanford Track & Field. Most of our 35 regional competitors and all of the coaching staff, save for Coach Milt, left in the early afternoon. Those still on campus gathered in the mid-afternoon for their workouts.

The distance runners, who comprise a large part of both the men’s and women’s teams, met at 2:30 p.m. on an otherwise empty track (except for those individuals who can’t read the “Track closed from 1:30 to 6 p.m. for practice” sign) to go over workout plans with Coach Milt.

After a 20-minute warm-up run, drills and light strides, we got into the meat of our work for the day. Fifth-year senior Dylan “Jail” Ferris (never call him Dylan), Luke Lefebure and Will Drinkwater had a 10 x 250 meter session with a one-minute rest between repetitions.

Freshmen Garrett Sweatt and Thomas Graham were put through a “Michigan” workout, running one mile on the track, one mile off the track, 1,200 meters on track, one mile off the track, 800 meters on the track, one mile off the track and finally one last 400-meter interval. These two probably got in about 10 to 12 miles total on the day.

Junior Erik Olson, slated to run the 5,000 meters at the regional on Saturday, had a final tune-up workout before he leaves for Austin, Texas, on Thursday. Similarly, Jess Tonn, Emilie Amaro and Aisling Cuffe will all run the 5k this weekend and had their last hard effort on campus yesterday.

Also on the track was the freshmen sprint crew. Jack Shumway could be seen doing some hurdle work, with the rest of the group doing some short repeats.

Post-practice, the training room was busy as usual, with athletes stretching, foam-rolling, getting treatment and hopping in the ice baths. Afterwards, a few of the freshman distance runners ate together at Manzanita dining hall — a departure from the usual Stern dinner.

Coach Milt will be leaving for Austin tomorrow, so we’ll be on our own for the remainder of the week. That should be interesting.

I hope you all have enjoyed the blog posts so far. It’s awesome to be able to share a little bit of what we do on daily basis with the Stanford community. Tomorrow I will preview the regional meet that begins Thursday and touch on our fantastic incoming recruiting class.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 246 and is the men's and women's golf writer. He also writes on NCAA-related matters. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.
  • JB

I like this mass communicating.