RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Inside look at Stanford Track and Field: Day 3

NEW (Page 3)

Hey all,

Tuesday was a relatively quiet day for Stanford Track & Field. Most of our 35 regional competitors and all of the coaching staff, save for Coach Milt, left in the early afternoon. Those still on campus gathered in the mid-afternoon for their workouts.

The distance runners, who comprise a large part of both the men’s and women’s teams, met at 2:30 p.m. on an otherwise empty track (except for those individuals who can’t read the “Track closed from 1:30 to 6 p.m. for practice” sign) to go over workout plans with Coach Milt.

After a 20-minute warm-up run, drills and light strides, we got into the meat of our work for the day. Fifth-year senior Dylan “Jail” Ferris (never call him Dylan), Luke Lefebure and Will Drinkwater had a 10 x 250 meter session with a one-minute rest between repetitions.

Freshmen Garrett Sweatt and Thomas Graham were put through a “Michigan” workout, running one mile on the track, one mile off the track, 1,200 meters on track, one mile off the track, 800 meters on the track, one mile off the track and finally one last 400-meter interval. These two probably got in about 10 to 12 miles total on the day.

Junior Erik Olson, slated to run the 5,000 meters at the regional on Saturday, had a final tune-up workout before he leaves for Austin, Texas, on Thursday. Similarly, Jess Tonn, Emilie Amaro and Aisling Cuffe will all run the 5k this weekend and had their last hard effort on campus yesterday.

Also on the track was the freshmen sprint crew. Jack Shumway could be seen doing some hurdle work, with the rest of the group doing some short repeats.

Post-practice, the training room was busy as usual, with athletes stretching, foam-rolling, getting treatment and hopping in the ice baths. Afterwards, a few of the freshman distance runners ate together at Manzanita dining hall — a departure from the usual Stern dinner.

Coach Milt will be leaving for Austin tomorrow, so we’ll be on our own for the remainder of the week. That should be interesting.

I hope you all have enjoyed the blog posts so far. It’s awesome to be able to share a little bit of what we do on daily basis with the Stanford community. Tomorrow I will preview the regional meet that begins Thursday and touch on our fantastic incoming recruiting class.

About Cameron Miller

Cameron Miller is a sports desk editor for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 246 and is the men's and women's golf writer. He also writes on NCAA-related matters. Cameron is also a Stanford student-athlete, competing on the cross country and track and field teams. He is originally from Bakersfield, California, but spends most of his time away from the Farm on the state's Central Coast. Contact him at cmiller6@stanford.edu.
  • JB

I like this mass communicating.