RT @jasoncollins98: I walked around @Stanford this afternoon & went to my freshman dorm. Saw a lesbian couple embracing each other while st…: 7 hours ago, The Stanford Daily
.@Stanford_Daily alumni -- come to the office for a Reunion Homecoming event at 4:30pm today!: 2 days ago, The Stanford Daily

Class of 2017 produces record high 76.7 percent yield

Stanford reported a yield rate of approximately 76.7 percent for the Class of 2017 on Tuesday — a 3.7 percent increase from last year’s figure and the highest-ever in University history, according to an email from Director of Admission Colleen Lim M.A. ’80.

“This record breaking year is a testament to Stanford’s extraordinary excellence and spirit,” Lim wrote in a statement. “Stanford is undeniably a compelling place to learn and live, and clearly these statistics indicate that the world is aware of the transformative powers and opportunities at Stanford.”

The University also offered admission to 32 transfer students, out of 1,662 applicants, on May 10. This year’s transfer admit rate of 1.9 percent marked a further decline from last year’s 2.2 percent rate and 2011’s figure of 4.1 percent.

At 1,694 students, the Class of 2017 is smaller than the two preceding classes and may shrink further before fall quarter as students drop or defer enrollment. Last year, the Office of Undergraduate Admission faced an over-enrollment of about 50 students after 1,786 students accepted offers of admission.

This year’s elevated yield rate is the latest sign of the University’s increasing selectivity. Stanford offered admission to 2,210 students this year out of a pool of 38,828 applicants, producing its lowest-ever admissions rate — at 5.69 percent — and its highest-ever number of applications received.

By Tuesday, a number of peer institutions had also released their yield rates for the Class of 2017. Harvard, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania and Brown reported yields of 8268.764.3 and 60 percent respectively.

• Paul

MIT has announced a record yield this year of “around 72-73 percent.” Yale hasn’t announced yet, but a few days ago The Daily Princetonian interestingly claimed (in a now-retracted article) that Princeton’s yield was higher than Yale’s.

• Observer

Of course admitting a class substantially smaller than last year’s gave a boost to the yield rate.

• Fred

Think it works the other way around – they knew yield was going to be higher, so they admitted fewer people to keep overall class size the same

• james

The numbers I see for the 2017 class is Princeton 68.7% and Yale 65.2%.

• james

The Director of Admissions didn’t give any indication if students from the wait list will be offered admission. My guess is a maximum of 30 students will be taken from the wait list.

• Observer

Neither that Princeton nor that Yale number is accurate. The preliminary Princeton number is 66.9% after deleting from the matriculant total those who have decided to defer a year, subject to further wait list action and “summer melt.” Yale has not yet announced its preliminary yield rate.

• Observer

Actually they are substantially reducing class size, not keeping it the same. Not only is the yield rate boosted, but the admit rate is lowered.

• Paul

Last year’s class was oversubscribed. The target has been 1700 for a while. There was some talk that they wanted a smaller than target class size this year to make up for the Class of 2016. However, due to the record high yield they still ended up with 1694, which is remarkably close to the typical target.

In any event, lowering the number of admits does not directly boost or lower yield, as yield is simply the percentage of admits who accept their offer of admission. Indirectly, it may be expected to put pressure on yield, because the more selective the admit pool, the more likely admits will have competing offers from other great colleges.

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger