Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford up 38-14 with just 4 minutes left now.: 17 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Touchdown Oregon State in garbage time, but it looks like Kevin Palma is down hurt on the field.: 20 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower completes to Montgomery for a long gain to the 10 but Murphy's called for holding. At least the hold came in garbage time.: 32 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Crower in at QB on this drive. Hogan's day is done and after the two picks, he had a good one: 18-of-27 for 277 yards and 2 touchdowns.: 34 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The 33-yard field goal attempt is good for Williamson, and he gets a pretty rousing cheer form the crowd. Stanford up 38-7.: 44 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan now at 277 yards passing on 18-of-26 completions. That's a pretty good bounceback day.: 46 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Oh, right, and the offense is also winning 338-116 in yardage.: 53 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
End of the third quarter. Stanford up 35-7, and the defense has showed zero signs of giving anything up.: 54 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Nunes, Meinken retire due to injuries

Senior Josh Nunes (center) announced his medical retirement on Monday after a workout-related arm injury this offseason. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

Senior quarterback Josh Nunes, who started the first nine games of Stanford’s 2012 Rose Bowl campaign, and senior fullback Geoff Meinken, a pounding blocker in 2011 before missing all of 2012 with a knee injury, announced their retirements from college football on Monday morning.

Nunes was recovering from a workout-related arm injury this offseason, while Meinken suffered a setback from his original knee injury at the 2012 Cardinal & White Spring Game.

As a redshirt junior, Nunes won the starting quarterback job last offseason after Andrew Luck’s departure, demonstrating a stronger command of the playbook than fellow passer Brett Nottingham, who had a stronger arm. Nottingham transferred to Columbia in December after losing the battle.

Nunes’ offseason work ethic, however, did not translate well to game days. Nunes completed only 52.8 percent of his passes, however, falling short of head coach David Shaw’s expectation of 60 percent as the Cardinal lost two of its first six games. He was replaced by redshirt freshman Kevin Hogan as the starter for the last three games of the regular season, the Pac-12 Championship Game and the Rose Bowl. Hogan went 5-0 over that stretch against four ranked teams and Wisconsin.

Despite the inaccuracy that doomed the Cardinal in its losses to Washington and Notre Dame, Nunes played an important role in Stanford’s upset of then-No. 2 USC. Though he was just 15-for-32 through the air with two interceptions, he made several crucial plays with his feet, including a late-game scramble for 12 yards on third-and-10. Two play later, he threw the game-winning touchdown to tight end Zach Ertz.

Nunes also had a career game in a 54-48 overtime win against Arizona, rallying the Cardinal from a two-touchdown deficit in the final 9:06 and accounting for five scores, setting the Stanford record for rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (three) in the process.

Meinken played in all 13 games in 2011 as Stanford’s backup fullback, as he and classmate Ryan Hewitt combined to fill the void left by departed senior Owen Marecic. His helmet-crunching style was a change of pace up the middle, and he broke off a career-long 40-yard run against Duke. Meinken’s last career carry, however, was a fumble on Stanford’s own 2-yard line in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl, resulting in an Oklahoma State field goal.

Had he been healthy enough to return, Meinken would have competed with Hewitt, redshirt junior Lee Ward and redshirt sophomore Patrick Skov for playing time.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
  • jsp

thank-you Mr Nunes and Mr Meinken for your help in reviving the Cardinal

• el Palo

Meinken’s fumble may not have been entirely his fault– looked like Luck also stuck it high on the handoff.

• Impossible

No, Andrew Luck has never done anything wrong in his entire life. Take it back.

• el Palo

Hey, sorry Mel or Em (haha)

Advertisment ad adsense adlogger