Sand volleyball wins home tournament, readies for final match

[ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily]
Junior Carly Wopat (left) and freshman Jordan Burgess (right) contributed to Stanford’s impressive performance over San Francisco and Sacramento State on Sunday. [ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily]
The Stanford sand volleyball team (6-1) put on an impressive show at its home tournament on Sunday, as the Cardinal easily dispatched San Francisco (5-2) and Sacramento State (2-6) by winning four out of five games in both contests.

The No. 1 pair of junior Carly Wopat and freshman Brittany Howard continued its undefeated streak. After besting USF’s top duo 21-14, 21-12 on Sunday morning, Wopat and Howard went back on the sand a few hours later to take down Sacramento State’s top duo Katie Aprile and Kayla Beal in another sweep, 21-16, 21-13. Wopat led the way in the first contest with 16 kills and eight digs while Howard paced the pair’s victory in the second match with 11 kills and 11 digs.

Playing on Court No. 2 for the Card, freshman Jordan Burgess and junior Rachel Williams also won both of their matches on Sunday.

The Cardinal concludes its inaugural season against Santa Clara today, with the event slated for a 3:30 p.m. start time. The Cardinal and the Broncos met twice within a week in early April, with Stanford comfortably winning both matches.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].