No. 42 men’s tennis drops regular season finale to Cal

The No. 42 Stanford men’s tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss at home to No. 18 Cal this Saturday in the final match of the regular season.

The match marked an improvement for the Cardinal (11-10, 3-4 Pac-12) from its performance against the Golden Bears (13-8, 5-1 Pac-12) on the road earlier this season, where the team dropped a 5-2 decision in a non-conference match.

Freshman Maciek Romanowicz (above)
Freshman Maciek Romanowicz (above) split his doubles and singles matches as Stanford fell to Cal 4-3 to close the regular season. (AVI BAGLA/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford started strong at doubles, winning all three matches and taking the doubles point. The No. 2 doubles team of freshman Maciek Romanowicz and sophomore Robert Stineman led the way with an 8-6.

At No. 1 singles, Morrissey fell 6-2, 6-4 to Berkeley’s Ben McLachlan, who is ranked 37th in the nation. Morrissey’s loss was followed by a victory at No. 6 singles from freshman Trey Strobel, who defeated Wyatt Houghton 6-2, 6-4.

Freshman Nolan Paige fell to Konigsfeldt 6-4, 6-1 at No. 2 singles to bring the score to 2-2.

The last three singles matches were all close, with Romanowicz losing to 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 to Johnson and Stineman falling 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 to Bayane at No. 3 and No. 4 singles, respectively. These two losses clinched the match for Berkeley.

The Cardinal finished the match with a victory at No. 5 singles from Ho, who defeated Mads Engsted 2-6, 7-6, 6-3.

Saturday also marked the Cardinal’s senior night, with a ceremony for seniors Sam Ecker, Matt Kandath, Lin and Walker Kehrer before the start of the singles matches.

The team will travel to Ojai, Calif., this week for the Pac-12 Championships, which begin on Tuesday.