Penev named top male gymnast in country

Senior Eddie Penev won the Nissen-Emery Award, given annually to the top NCAA men’s gymnast, on Thursday night, making him Stanford’s first recipient of the honor in nearly a decade.

Senior Eddie Penev, a vault and floor specialist, was named the top male gymnast in the country on Thursday night. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/StanfordPhoto.com)

In eight meets this season, Penev won the individual all-around six times. While at Stanford he has earned national recognition as a floor and vault specialist, winning the 2012 NCAA titles in both events as well as the 2010 NCAA vault crown.

The six-time All-American leads the No. 4 Cardinal into the NCAA Championships this weekend at Penn State, where it looks to win the fourth men’s gymnastics title in school history.

Stanford’s previous Nissen-Emery winners are Dan Gill (2004), Josh Stein (1995) and Steve Hug (1974).

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.