Athletic department adds women’s sand volleyball

Junior Carly Wopat (above) and the returning members of the indoor volleyball team will move outdoors to compete in the inaugural season of Stanford sand volleyball this spring. Junior Carly Wopat (above) and the other returning members of the indoor volleyball team will move outside to compete in this spring's inaugural season of Stanford's sand volleyball. (Don Feria/isiphotos.com)
Junior Carly Wopat (above) and the returning members of the indoor volleyball team will move outdoors to compete in the inaugural season of Stanford sand volleyball this spring. (Don Feria/isiphotos.com)

The number of varsity sports teams on the Farm will increase to 36, Stanford’s athletic department announced today.

The women’s sand volleyball team will begin its inaugural season on April 2 when it faces Santa Clara for the first of eight games this season. The team will play five different opponents that are all locally based. Home matches will be played at the ACSR Sand Volleyball Courts.

The team will look very similar to the Stanford indoor volleyball squad, as the roster will include 11 returning players from the 2012 indoor team. Indoor volleyball head coach John Dunning will also coach the sand volleyball team.

Prior to the 2011-2 season, the NCAA added sand volleyball to the list of emerging sports for women. In spring 2012, 15 teams competed in sand volleyball, but 15 more — including the Cardinal — have added the sport for 2013.

Stanford’s volleyball program has a long tradition of producing professional beach volleyball players. Three Olympians in the sport,  Barbara Fontana ‘87, Nancy Reno ’88 MS ’90 and Kerri Walsh ‘00, have their roots on the Farm.

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email [email protected].