Carol Zhao defeated in first round of @BOTWClassic 6-3, 6-0. Gibbs now sole representative for @StanfordWTennis: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Uphill battle for @CarolZhao95 after losing first set 3-6 to Barthel. @BOTWClassic fans are behind her, though.: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Back to back? After a win from @Gibbsyyyy, Carol Zhao looks to make it two in a row for @StanfordWTennis: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Nicole Gibbs '14 defeats Caroline Garcia 6-4, 7-5 and moves on in @BOTWClassic @StanfordWTennis: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@Gibbsyyyy holds off comeback from Garcia to capture first set, 6-4.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gibbs off to great start, breaking Garcia twice en route to a 3-0 lead in first set.: 24 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @KeithArnold: Had a great Q&A with @dohyoungpark of @StanfordSports, talking ND-Stanford and finishing my offseason previews: http://t.c…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Bret Baumbach wins individual Pac-12 crown

Redshirt junior wrestler Bret Baumbach won the individual Pac-12 title at 165 pounds with a dominating 7-1 decision over No. 1 seed Seth Thomas on Sunday, simultaneously earning a coveted automatic berth in the NCAA Championships.

[Hector Garcia-Molina/StanfordPhoto.com]

Redshirt junior Bret Baumbach (above) is on his way to the NCAA Championships in Des Moines, Iowa. [Hector Garcia-Molina/StanfordPhoto.com]

Just the 15th conference-champion in school history, Baumbach moved to 21-10 on the season with a 4-1 victory over Oregon State’s Holden Packard in the tournament semifinals, held at the Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe, Ariz.

That set up a matchup with Thomas in the finals just a few hours later, and Baumbach took full advantage, working Thomas over for the full seven minutes and never truly being threatened.

The win means that Baumbach, a native of Council Bluffs, Iowa, will return to his home state for the NCAA Championships, which will be held in Des Moines, Iowa, March 21-23.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com