On his first play, Yazdi immediately gets a tackle. Making the most of the opportunity right away: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Alex Yazdi in at nose tackle. "The Iranian Meatball," they call him. Great to see him getting playing time.: 12 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Looks like walk-on DT Alex Yazdi (No. 79) is in line to get perhaps the first meaningful playing time of his career on …: 13 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On the scoreboard: based on aggregate Facebook data, Stanford fan's favorite car is the Ferrari. OSU's is the Jeep.: 18 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford defense still keeps on keeping on and Stanford has the ball back with 9:10 to play.: 20 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Don't look now, but Stanford is on pace to score 70 #DoinTheMath: 24 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Score now 21-7 and Hogan now 11-of-16 for 150 yards. Not too shabby.: 28 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
That's the first career touchdown for @JordanPratt87! A very nice to move to make the corner miss, and he runs diagonally to the end zone.: 29 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Kevin Hogan: Now with pocket presence: 31 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Softball splits first four games at Easton Invitational

No. 15 Stanford bounced back with a strong showing on Saturday after dropping its first two games at the Easton Invitational, posting victories against Cal-State Fullerton and Northwestern to improve to 16-5 on the season. In the morning session, senior Teagan Gerhart shut down Fullerton, allowing only one run on two hits in picking up her seventh win on the season, as the Cardinal blasted the Titans 14-1 in a 5-inning mercy rule decision.

(Jim Shorin/stanfordphoto.com)

Sophomore Erin Ashby blasted a home run and recorded 3 RBIs  in Stanford’s 14-1 rout of Cal-State Fullerton. (Jim Shorin/stanfordphoto.com)

For the Norco, Calif. product and the Card, Saturday’s contest was an emphatic rebound after Stanford was stunned by unranked Wisconsin on Friday afternoon, falling 4-0 to the Badgers. In routing Fullerton, the Cardinal tallied 14 hits, including home runs from sophomore Erin Ashby and freshman Kaitlin Schaberg.

Kelsey Stevens also recovered from a Friday loss, as she notched her ninth victory in Saturday afternoon’s 5-2 win over Northwestern. After giving up five runs in only 1 1/3 innings of work during a 7-6 loss to Iowa, the freshman from Albuquerque, N.M. dominated NU, yielding only four hits and striking out nine over the course of 6 1/3 innings.

Stanford concludes play at the Easton Invitational tomorrow morning, as the Card take on the Indiana Hoosiers in Fullerton, Calif.

About David Cohn

David Cohn '15 is currently a Sports Desk Editor. He began his tenure at the Daily by serving as a senior staff writer for Stanford football and softball, and then rose to the position of assistant editor of staff development. He served as the Summer Managing Editor of Sports in 2014. David is a Biology major from Poway, California. In addition to his duties at the Daily, he serves as the lead play-by-play football and softball announcer for KZSU Live Stanford Radio 90.1 FM.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger