Jake Bailey's punt sails out of bounds for a net of just 19 yards. Even special teams going wrong for Stanford early: 10 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
There's Bryce Love in the receiving game as @RJ_Abeytia called for but Burns overshoots him on the quick throw: 13 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
McCaffrey spins and reverses field but Sidney Jones does a nice job wrapping him up: 13 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
McCaffrey wiggles free for a gain of 13. Good sign for Stanford: 15 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Washington honoring their national championship women's golf team who just happened to beat Stanford in the final. Nice move.: 18 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Browning scrambles to buy a little time. Keeps his eyes downfield and finds Pettis for a 3yd Washington touchdown. PAT no good. 6-0 Huskies.: 20 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Browning finds Dante Pettis downfield for a huge gain down to the Stanford 7. Gain of 35: 22 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Can't leave John Ross alone: 23 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Browning immediately looks to exploit the McClatcher-Hoffpauir matchup in the slot: 25 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Bailey punts it away after the Huskies get to Burns again. That experienced UW secondary came to play: 25 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Softball splits first four games at Easton Invitational

No. 15 Stanford bounced back with a strong showing on Saturday after dropping its first two games at the Easton Invitational, posting victories against Cal-State Fullerton and Northwestern to improve to 16-5 on the season. In the morning session, senior Teagan Gerhart shut down Fullerton, allowing only one run on two hits in picking up her seventh win on the season, as the Cardinal blasted the Titans 14-1 in a 5-inning mercy rule decision.

(Jim Shorin/stanfordphoto.com)

Sophomore Erin Ashby blasted a home run and recorded 3 RBIs  in Stanford’s 14-1 rout of Cal-State Fullerton. (Jim Shorin/stanfordphoto.com)

For the Norco, Calif. product and the Card, Saturday’s contest was an emphatic rebound after Stanford was stunned by unranked Wisconsin on Friday afternoon, falling 4-0 to the Badgers. In routing Fullerton, the Cardinal tallied 14 hits, including home runs from sophomore Erin Ashby and freshman Kaitlin Schaberg.

Kelsey Stevens also recovered from a Friday loss, as she notched her ninth victory in Saturday afternoon’s 5-2 win over Northwestern. After giving up five runs in only 1 1/3 innings of work during a 7-6 loss to Iowa, the freshman from Albuquerque, N.M. dominated NU, yielding only four hits and striking out nine over the course of 6 1/3 innings.

Stanford concludes play at the Easton Invitational tomorrow morning, as the Card take on the Indiana Hoosiers in Fullerton, Calif.

About David Cohn

David Cohn '15 is currently a Sports Desk Editor. He began his tenure at the Daily by serving as a senior staff writer for Stanford football and softball, and then rose to the position of assistant editor of staff development. He served as the Summer Managing Editor of Sports in 2014. David is a Biology major from Poway, California. In addition to his duties at the Daily, he serves as the lead play-by-play football and softball announcer for KZSU Live Stanford Radio 90.1 FM.