RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Kelsey Stevens throws perfect game, Stanford beats UVA in Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic

Twenty-one Virginia hitters came to the plate on Saturday night, and 21 went right back to the bench as Stanford pitcher Kelsey Stevens threw a perfect game and the No. 17 Cardinal beat the Cavaliers, 4-0.

The freshman from Albuquerque, N.M. was dominant in victory, striking out 10 batters and needing just 94 pitches to set the Cavaliers (6-7) down in order. She threw 67 of her 94 pitches for strikes and just one batter earned a three-ball count.

Freshman pitcher Kelsey Stevens (above) threw a perfect game on Saturday night.

It trumped what was also Stanford’s best hitting performance of the season, as the Card (12-3) had a season-high 15 hits. Sophomore Cassandra Roulund went 3-3 with three RBI, including a key two-run single with the bases loaded to break a scoreless tie in the bottom of the third inning. A sac fly from Roulund in the sixth tacked on the fourth and final run, before Stevens came out and retired the final three batters, the last on a fly ball to center fielder Sarah Hassman.

It was not the only impressive performance from Stevens on the day, however, as earlier in the day Stanford beat No. 13 Georgia 6-0 with Stevens allowing only four hits in the circle.

The Cardinal followed that up with a loss to Oklahoma State, 4-1, failing to score with the bases loaded and two outs in the top of the fifth inning and then only plating one run with the bases loaded and nobody out in the sixth.

Stanford will complete its tournament with a double-header tomorrow against No. 23 Florida State and Syracuse beginning at 11:30.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com