Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Ogwumike named to Capital One Academic All-America team

Stanford women’s basketball standout Chiney Ogwumike was one of five players named to the 2012-13 Capital One Academic All-America team on Thursday.

Ogwumike, who is majoring in international relations, has a 3.41 cumulative grade-point average.

The junior forward is also a leading candidate for the national player of the year as the only player in the country to rank in the top six nationally in scoring (22.7 ppg), rebounding (12.3 rpg), field-goal percentage (58.4 percent) and double-doubles (20). In the Pac-12, she holds or shares the lead in all four categories.

Heading into the weekend’s slate of Pac-12 games, Ogwumike has now scored 1,554 career points and 974 rebounds. Once she reaches the 1000-rebound plateau, she will be the sixth player in Stanford women’s basketball history to record more than 1000 points and 1000 rebounds in her career.

Named Pac-12 Player of the Week a record-tying five times, Ogwumike has helped lead Stanford to a 24-2 overall record this season—the No. 4 Cardinal is currently tied for first in the Pac-12.

About Jana Persky

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email