Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Men’s volleyball seeks consistency away from home

Stanford men’s volleyball continues its four-game road trip this weekend by heading first to Utah to face No. 2 BYU (9-3) before returning to California to take on No. 13 Cal Baptist (6-7).

The Cardinal (9-5, 6-5 MPSF) has struggled to find consistency away from home this season—the team’s away record is now 2-4 after splitting two road games last weekend. Stanford was able to hold off Cal State-Northridge to earn a 3-1 victory but fell short against No. 4 Long Beach State in straight sets.

Junior outside hitter Brian Cook (above) leads the Cardinal with 4.15 kills per set this season. Stanford will cap off a four-game road trip at BYU and Cal Baptist this weekend. (ROGER CHEN/The Stanford Daily)

In both matches, the offense was the deciding factor. The Cardinal offense dominated Northridge, hitting a season-high .456, including .788 in second set. Junior Brian Cook led the Cardinal with 21 kills on the day.

In the match against Long Beach, however, Stanford hit a season-low .152 and struggled against a powerful and aggressive 49ers offense.

“[Long Beach State] took us out of our system, and that’s when we struggled,” Stanford head coach John Kosty told “When we pass well, we’re good. When we don’t, we get fairly one-dimensional. We need to be more consistent.”

In the Cardinal’s game against Northridge, freshman setter James Shaw made a team-high 52 assists, which provided the offense with the groundwork to have a strong hitting night.

The Cardinal will need that kind of performance against a BYU squad that is one of the top blocking teams in the nation. The Cougars, led by senior middle blocker Russ Lavaja, have held opponents to a .237 hitting average, while hitting .325 themselves. The Stanford defense must also find a way to contain BYU junior hitter Taylor Sander, who had 23 kills against Pepperdine last week.

BYU is currently ranked first in the MPSF and will benefit from their home environment in Provo, Utah, where the Cougars are 8-2 this year. However, BYU is coming off a similar weekend to the Cardinal, as the Cougars first lost a five-set match to No. 5 Pepperdine before rebounding to beat No. 10 USC 3-1.

Stanford has not lost to BYU in the last six meetings between the teams, including four in which the Card was the underdog coming into the match. In the last matchup, the Cardinal knocked the Cougars out of the 2012 MPSF semifinals.

After the match with the Cougars, Stanford will meet No. 13 Cal Baptist on Monday, Feb. 25. In their first season in the MPSF, the Lancers are 6-7 on the year. Cal Baptist has also lost three of its past four matches, including four-set defeats to USC and Pepperdine last weekend. Last season, Stanford lost to the Lancers in five sets in the Cardinal’s first match after the spring break layoff.

Cal Baptist is led by senior outside hitter Levi Cabral, who is averaging 4.46 kills per set. Setter Brett Anderson has also recently emerged for the Lancers—the sophomore posted 43 assists against USC.

This weekend represents the midpoint of the MPSF season. With 13 matches to go, the Cardinal is currently ranked fifth in the conference, and two wins this weekend could certainly provide them with the opportunity to move up in the standings

“It’s a long process,” Kosty said. “At the same time, we’re at a stage where we’re still learning to put matches together.”

Contact Eliza Thompson at elizat ‘at’