RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford athletes are students first

When news broke Monday that Texas A&M’s Heisman-winning quarterback “Johnny Football” Manziel is taking only online courses this semester, I started to actually laugh out loud.

The idea that Stanford competes with universities like Texas A&M on the playing field is nothing short of absurd. It’s getting to a point that I’m not even sure Stanford’s teams are playing the same sport as the rest of the NCAA’s Division I universities.

BCS National Championship Coverage, Jan. 6, 2013

Can you even imagine Andrew Luck taking online classes after his breakout junior campaign so that he could stay away from all of the attention and just focus on his football training?

The reality on this campus is very different. Each of the last two years, I traveled with Stanford women’s basketball during postseason play. I can vividly remember a moment two years ago at the then-Pac-10 championship in Los Angeles, which took place during winter quarter’s “Dead Week”—the week right before finals start.

I came down to the lobby of our hotel for a snack, and more importantly, a break from the final paper that had been tormenting me throughout the evening. When I sat down on the couch to relax, I began to talk to three of the players on the team who were all sitting with their laptops open.

They weren’t on Facebook, they were finishing problem sets and papers, just like me. In about 15 hours, Stanford would take on UCLA for the Pac-10 title—and win—but first came school.

Later that year, Stanford baseball traveled to Fullerton for the NCAA Regional during finals week. Players were sometimes forced to take finals immediately following a game, into the wee hours of the morning, to fulfill their academic requirements. I can’t imagine trying to stay focused and rested while balancing finals and postseason play.

Every time I read a story like the one on Manziel’s online classes, I find it harder to believe that anyone else has to balance anything nearly as difficult as what Stanford student-athletes do.

Let me be fair to Manziel here. Assuming that his reasoning is true—Manziel told Brent Zwenerman of the San Antonio Express-News that he tried to take an on-campus English class but his classmates’ reaction to him became “more of a big deal” than he thought—Manziel is not to blame for his choice to stick to just online classes.

This is one of those rare cases where, in fact, the athlete is the victim, not the beneficiary, of the hero-worshipping culture of student bodies and fanbases in general in SEC and Big-12 country.

But Manziel didn’t fight back—he was content to go through the motions with his online classes while finishing out the remainder of his three-year holding pattern to NFL stardom.

And Texas A&M was happy to let him do so. As long as Johnny Football brings his 2012 magic into the 2013 season, no Aggie will complain about his questionable status as an online student-athlete.

I spoke with senior water polo player Melissa Seidemann on Wednesday about her transition back to Stanford after a year off to train with the U.S. Senior National Team for the London Olympics—she won a gold medal with the team—and I got a very different view on education.

“I took 20 units fall quarter, I’m taking 20 units this quarter, just so I can have a little bit of a lighter spring, but it’s really given me perspective in what I want to do with my future, so that’s been cool,” Seidemann said. “I’ve gained a new appreciation for the classes that I can take here and explore my passion.”

I know that I’m not shocking anyone with the notion that Stanford student-athletes, for the most part, have much more passion towards academics than the average NCAA student-athlete. I also know that I wouldn’t be the first person to remind readers how difficult it is to recruit to Stanford due to the academic standards.

But I don’t think many people realize that this academic challenge doesn’t simply disappear by Stanford recruiting smarter and more academically focused student-athletes.

I know for a fact that my coverage of Stanford Athletics is better when I’m taking a lighter course load. I’ve had games on air with KZSU when schoolwork has gotten in the way of my performance. The week of Stanford football’s game against Arizona, midterms got in the way of my preparation time—and my sleep time—and it definitely showed early on in my broadcast.

So, though I laughed at first when I heard about Johnny Manziel taking online classes or the 2001 Georgia Basketball “class,” these stories make me nervous. How long can Stanford continue to perform at the highest athletic level while maintaining passion and success in the classroom?

As the financial stakes of college athletics continue to grow, I see universities trying to make it even easier, and certainly not harder, for their student-athletes to focus on the athlete half of their titles.

I don’t know if there’s anything Stanford can do to avoid this, besides pressure the NCAA to try take action. That might be Stanford’s only chance to avoid becoming yet another victim—joining the ranks of Big East basketball, the Texas/Texas A&M rivalry and some of the best aspects of ACC basketball—of the new landscape of college athletics.

How much homework do you think Sam Fisher had the night he wrote this column? Let him know at safisher ‘at’ stanford.edu and follow him on Twitter @SamFisher908.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.
  • Daowna

Incoming

• rationalconvo

You make some good points, but if a student-athlete knows his future lies in athletics, why should the University hold him back? The University is there to support them, which means making sure they reach at least a minimum standard in school while simultaneously excelling in their athletic activities. Sure, Stanford has more rigorous minimum standards than A&M, but that goes along with the prestige of going to Stanford. Also, I am sure that A&M athletes have to study hard too. In fact A&M’s top recruit, Derrick Griffin, was not allowed to sign with A&M because of academic concerns.

• common_man

And why are we bashing an athlete who knows that his profession in life will be football. He is forced to major in something while at school even though this is his only path he can take to the NFL. On the flip-side we praise the people that become millionaires because they droppped out of school to immediately pursue their dreams and become successful in the tech world – Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, etc. And not only in the tech world but these famous “part-time” Stanford students also – Tiger Woods, John McEnroe, Reese Witherspoon.

• iptunnell

Awfully quick to go sticking your neck out and criticizing another school’s practices, Sam. When an athlete has groundbreaking success at another school is when all the bitter sports writers who favor other teams come out of the woodworks. We’re not talking about A&M letting Manziel get away with using recreational drugs, juicing, taking money from boosters or any of the other “deadly college sins”, we’re essentially talking about a guy taking online classes… Why is that even a discussion? I’m willing to bet you’ll find similarities at Stanford as well if you pulled the covers back, and some of them might actually be worse. You might find yourself with egg on your face after this article.

Also, Andrew Luck certainly was a really talented QB, but he’s no Manziel. Manziel is in a league of his own. I understand it’s hard to write objectively when you’re drinking the Stanford kool aid 24/7, but credibility in journalism comes through your ability to maintain objectivity. Otherwise, you become another biased talking head.

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1826062151 Joe Robinson

you lost all credibility when you mentioned Derrick Griffin. The kid is barely passing in high school. This is a Texas public school. Same state of Texas that is near the bottom of academics in the United States.

• Arec Barrwin

Joe, you lost all credibility when criticized Texas A&M for being a “Texas public school.” Texas A&M is ranked in the top 20 public universities in the 2012 rankings by U.S. News & World Report. Washington Monthly ranked Texas A&M 15th among all U.S. universities — public or private.

PWNage completed.

• s

I think he was referring to the high school that Griffin attended, not A&M.

• MMorris

Hey Sam you’re right, and maybe Stanford should consider putting a big asterisk on all their diplomas for students who took one of the hundreds of courses offered by the university in over eleven fields of study for Graduate and Master’s degrees. Looks like you have a bunch of losers at Stanford too.

• Mephistopheles

First off, don’t be so sure kids at other schools are just coasting. Stanford may be at the top of the heap, but there are plenty of other “student athletes.” Texas A & M is an excellent school, and I’m sure produces many impressive student athletes yearly. I’m also not sure Manziel is in any “holding pattern” for NFL stardom. IPTUNNELL-I think you’ve got it backward-Manziel is no Andrew Luck.

Second, Stanford has a plan for football that takes advantage of the academic prowess of its players. Stanford has done a nice job acquiring very experienced coaches with a higher than average grasp of the x and o part of the game, as opposed to other schools with youthful and exuberant coaches that spend more time texting recruits than designing game plans. Stanford’s plan seems simple, power football. But the complexity in execution of this power running scheme, especially on the line of scrimmage, is far more than meets the eye. Not to mention the myriad of reads required not just by the QB, but all players.

Their defense also does a nice job of melding complex zone/man coverages, and sophisticated blitzes, into a cohesive scheme that is very difficult to attack. Just ask Coach Kelly. This system requires an athlete who knows how to study, not just watch game film. These kids don’t just absorb the material in these overloaded playbooks, but put it to use on the field as well as any team in America. The fact that the Card have a very small impact from attrition compared with the other elite programs, means it also tends to have an older, and wiser population of kids, which serves to its benefit.

Stanford’s academic “burden” is simply an aspect of the program. Its up to the players and coaches to make it work to their advantage. They’ll never recruit the talent that SEC schools can bring in with their non-existent standards, but with smarter, older, tougher, and stronger players they should be able to compete consistently now that the athletic department sees the potential of this sleeping football giant. Few fans/alums have enjoyed the past 3 seasons like Card nation. The next couple seems pretty bright as well.