RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 17 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford women’s basketball starts SoCal trip in style

On Friday night the Stanford women’s basketball team defeated USC 79-55 to ensure it kept joint share of top spot in the Pac-12 Conference with California, which earlier beat UCLA 79-51 across the other side of Los Angeles.

The No. 4/5 Cardinal (23-2, 12-1 Pac-12) broke away from the Trojans (8-16, 5-8 Pac-12) just before half time with a 12-2 run and extended the lead after the break. The victory takes its winning streak against USC to 12 games. Meanwhile, the No. 6/6 Golden Bears (22-2, 12-1 Pac-12) kept things tight at the top of the Pac-12 with an almost identical scoreline against the No. 15/16 Bruins (19-5, 10-3 Pac-12).

Stanford junior forward Chiney Ogwumike is now just one double-double away from the all-time record. (http://stanfordphoto.com)

Standing out for the Card, junior forward Chiney Ogwumike grabbed her record setting 20th double-double of the season, 26 points and 15 rebounds, and now is just one shy of her sister Nnemkadi Ogwumike’12, who made a career total of 51 double-doubles in her time on the Farm. Joining Chiney Ogwumike in double figures, senior forward Joslyn Tinkle got her second double-double of the season, 17 points and 11 rebounds, senior forward Mikaela Ruef scored 12 points and sophomore guard Amber Orrange hit 10 points. Ruef also set a new career points record, beating the 11 she made against Arizona a week before.

For USC, sophomore forward Alexyz Vaioletma and junior forward Cassie Harberts made double-figure points, with 13 and 14, respectively. However, sophomore guard Ariya Crook, who, alongside Harberts, is the only other USC player with a double-figure season scoring average, hit just six points.

The visiting team was simply more accurate from the start, ending the game with 43.5% shooting in comparison to the home team’s 33.3%. The Trojans did actually shoot more accurately than the Card in the second half, but never recovered from hitting just 24.1% in the first period.

Stanford now faces UCLA at 12:30pm on Sunday, needing a victory to ensure California cannot break free in the Pac-12 standings. The contest will be broadcast live on Pac-12 Networks and KZSU.