Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford women’s basketball starts SoCal trip in style

On Friday night the Stanford women’s basketball team defeated USC 79-55 to ensure it kept joint share of top spot in the Pac-12 Conference with California, which earlier beat UCLA 79-51 across the other side of Los Angeles.

The No. 4/5 Cardinal (23-2, 12-1 Pac-12) broke away from the Trojans (8-16, 5-8 Pac-12) just before half time with a 12-2 run and extended the lead after the break. The victory takes its winning streak against USC to 12 games. Meanwhile, the No. 6/6 Golden Bears (22-2, 12-1 Pac-12) kept things tight at the top of the Pac-12 with an almost identical scoreline against the No. 15/16 Bruins (19-5, 10-3 Pac-12).

Stanford junior forward Chiney Ogwumike is now just one double-double away from the all-time record. (http://stanfordphoto.com)

Standing out for the Card, junior forward Chiney Ogwumike grabbed her record setting 20th double-double of the season, 26 points and 15 rebounds, and now is just one shy of her sister Nnemkadi Ogwumike’12, who made a career total of 51 double-doubles in her time on the Farm. Joining Chiney Ogwumike in double figures, senior forward Joslyn Tinkle got her second double-double of the season, 17 points and 11 rebounds, senior forward Mikaela Ruef scored 12 points and sophomore guard Amber Orrange hit 10 points. Ruef also set a new career points record, beating the 11 she made against Arizona a week before.

For USC, sophomore forward Alexyz Vaioletma and junior forward Cassie Harberts made double-figure points, with 13 and 14, respectively. However, sophomore guard Ariya Crook, who, alongside Harberts, is the only other USC player with a double-figure season scoring average, hit just six points.

The visiting team was simply more accurate from the start, ending the game with 43.5% shooting in comparison to the home team’s 33.3%. The Trojans did actually shoot more accurately than the Card in the second half, but never recovered from hitting just 24.1% in the first period.

Stanford now faces UCLA at 12:30pm on Sunday, needing a victory to ensure California cannot break free in the Pac-12 standings. The contest will be broadcast live on Pac-12 Networks and KZSU.