“Cafe Wilbur” caters free Valentine’s Day dinner to 200 students

Valentine’s Evening at Cafe Wilbur, an event planned in just over a week and executed by a team of freshmen, served a free catered dinner to 200 students yesterday.

Freshmen enjoy "Valentine's Evening at Cafe Wilbur." (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Freshmen enjoy “Valentine’s Evening at Cafe Wilbur.” (ZETONG LI/The Stanford Daily)

Stephen Ahn ’16 and Brandon Hill ’16, the primary event organizers, collaborated with Wilbur Dining to host the event. The team recruited over 30 volunteer waiters and waitresses to set up before the event, serve food and clean up afterwards.

Ahn said the dinner was capped to make sure all attendees could comfortably fit in one side of Wilbur Dining. Freshmen reserved tickets in groups of two to eight through the online platform EventBrite, and Ahn said that although ticket sales were “relatively slow” at first, the event sold out within two days.

The organizers used Facebook and mailing lists to publicize the dinner, emphasizing the gourmet menu and “classy Valentine’s Day atmosphere for couples and friends alike.”

Kendall Weierich ’16, who attended the event with her boyfriend, was particularly impressed by the food options, which included prime rib, tofu and mushroom skewers and grilled zucchini.

“They had everything that pretty much could accommodate different dietary habits and a good amount of variety,” Weierich said. “It was a really fancy dinner.”

The event also featured a performance from a capella group the Mendicants, as well as solo performances from several freshmen musicians.

“It was more than what I expected,” Weierich said. “They had Martinellis everywhere and decorations with rose petals on the table. It was really pretty.”