Don't look now, but Stanford is 2-of-2 in the red zone with 2 TDs.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
That's also a catch Hooper could have made. Hogan is in some kind of zone. Stanford punts for just the third time.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
That's another three-and-out. Stanford defense is just getting stronger and stronger as this game goes on.: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hundley is toppled on third down. The boos start at the Rose Bowl.: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford rushed the ball 7 times for 70 yards on that drive. Hogan didn't throw once. Cardinal offense still having its way.: 18 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford offensive line has flexed its muscles this game and issued a hearty "come at me" to the ferocious UCLA front 7. Advantage Stanford.: 20 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has only allowed more than 14 points in a half once this season - to Oregon. UCLA has a long, long uphill battle.: 21 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's that easy. Touchdown Remound Wright. Sixth touchdown of the last two weeks for the senior. Stanford leads 28-10.: 21 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @m__petes: Call that bootleg, Shaw.: 24 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Softball hosts Broncos on the Farm

After taking four of its six games at the Kajikawa Classic this past weekend, the Stanford softball team looks to secure its first home victory of the 2013 campaign against Santa Clara tonight.

The No. 20 Cardinal (4-2) took care of business against Bradley, Portland State, Cal Poly and Indiana in the season-opening tournament but could not muster enough offensive firepower to take down heavyweights No. 2 Oklahoma and Kentucky. But the Broncos (0-2) haven’t exactly seen their bats come alive either. They managed only one run in their losses to Pacific in last weekend’s doubleheader.

Senior shortstop Jenna Rich is a First Team All-Pac-12 Selection.

A First Team All-Pac-12 selection, senior shortstop Jenna Rich has headlined Stanford’s offensive production early this season. Six was the magic number for the steady shortstop this past weekend, as she accounted for six hits, including one home run and two doubles, along with six RBIs and six runs scored. Rich, who led the Pac-12 last season with 66 RBIs, showed no signs of rust from the offseason and currently boasts a .611 slugging percentage and a .478 on-base percentage.

Sophomore first baseman Erin Ashby had her coming-out party at the Classic, ripping two homers, including one that spoiled Cal Poly’s hopes by extending the game to nine innings. Sophomore outfielder Cassandra Roulund got in on the action too by hitting her first collegiate home run.

“[The home run] definitely felt like everything we worked on in the fall was coming together,” Roulund said. “It was a confidence booster. It felt thrilling to be able to contribute to the team.”

Besides giving up eight runs to the No. 2 team in the nation, the duo of senior Teagan Gerhart and freshman Kelsey Stevens carried a consistent presence on the mound.  Gerhart shouldered a heavy load for the Cardinal last season, starting in 43 games while maintaining a 2.89 ERA, but the emergence of Stevens should take some pressure off her.

Gerhart started in four games at the Classic and came away with a record of 2-1 and one no-decision; her sole loss came against the Sooners’ bats that exploded for five runs in the first inning. Not to be outdone, Stevens also went 2-1 while fanning 29 batters over the course of 20.2 innings.

While the veterans on the team are in form, the immediate impact of the new freshman class has been arguably the biggest story of the season so far. Stevens was one of four Cardinal freshmen who impressed in their collegiate debuts. Joining Stevens, catcher Jessica Plaza started in all six games and blasted her first home run of her collegiate career against Indiana. Rounding out the solid rookie performances were second baseman Jessica Schaberg, who hit an efficient .400 in the five games that she played in, and designated hitter Kayla Bonstrom, who recorded four hits in 14 at-bats.

Stanford squares off against Santa Clara tonight at the Smith Family Stadium, with the contest slated for a 5 p.m. PT start time.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.