Carol Zhao defeated in first round of @BOTWClassic 6-3, 6-0. Gibbs now sole representative for @StanfordWTennis: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Uphill battle for @CarolZhao95 after losing first set 3-6 to Barthel. @BOTWClassic fans are behind her, though.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Back to back? After a win from @Gibbsyyyy, Carol Zhao looks to make it two in a row for @StanfordWTennis: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Nicole Gibbs '14 defeats Caroline Garcia 6-4, 7-5 and moves on in @BOTWClassic @StanfordWTennis: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
.@Gibbsyyyy holds off comeback from Garcia to capture first set, 6-4.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gibbs off to great start, breaking Garcia twice en route to a 3-0 lead in first set.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @KeithArnold: Had a great Q&A with @dohyoungpark of @StanfordSports, talking ND-Stanford and finishing my offseason previews: http://t.c…: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Penev named MPSF Gymnast of the Week

Stanford senior Eddie Penev earned MPSF Gymnast of the Week honors for the third time this season after finishing fourth at the Winter Cup Challenge in Las Vegas.

Senior Eddie Penev won his third MPSF Gymnast of the Week award this season on Tuesday.

Penev’s performance in Las Vegas earned him a spot on the U.S. Gymnastics Senior National Team. Penev won the vault title with a score of 30.300 en route to an all-around score of 169.150.

He has trained with the Bulgarian National Gymnastics Team in the past but switched to the United States side leading up to the 2012 London Olympics. His best finish in international competition — a tie for sixth-place in the floor exercise — came at the 2010 World Championship in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

Penev’s appointment to the U.S. Senior National Team runs through August’s U.S. Gymnastics Championships in Hartford, Conn., though he will still compete for Stanford this season. The Cardinal hosts Berkeley on Sunday at 6 p.m. at Maples Pavilion.

— Sam Fisher

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' stanford.edu to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.