RT @StanfordWTennis: Follow @Gibbsyyyy on Saturday in @usopen third round against No. 11 seed Flavia Pennetta. 8 a.m. PT, first match insid…: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @StanfordWVB 3, @CycloneVB 0 (25-16, 25-18, 25-19). Card wins its season opener for the 6th straight year #gostanfo: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @Pac12Networks: Two goals? No. 12 @StanfordFH's Lauren Becker did that in the 4-0 win over No. 18 @delawarefh on Friday. Interview: http…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Long rally ends in a kill by Howard from the back row! 6-4 Card in the 3rd #gostanford #AVCAShowcase: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Get ready RT @dohyoungpark: If S. Carolina loses today, @StanfordFB will have longest active home win streak in the country (16) #TAMUvsSC: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Big day for Stanford athletes -- @Gibbsyyyy wins again at the US Open, @Chiney321 is WNBA ROY, and @JmoSmooth13 named to USMNT roster: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Penev named MPSF Gymnast of the Week

Stanford senior Eddie Penev earned MPSF Gymnast of the Week honors for the third time this season after finishing fourth at the Winter Cup Challenge in Las Vegas.

Senior Eddie Penev won his third MPSF Gymnast of the Week award this season on Tuesday.

Penev’s performance in Las Vegas earned him a spot on the U.S. Gymnastics Senior National Team. Penev won the vault title with a score of 30.300 en route to an all-around score of 169.150.

He has trained with the Bulgarian National Gymnastics Team in the past but switched to the United States side leading up to the 2012 London Olympics. His best finish in international competition — a tie for sixth-place in the floor exercise — came at the 2010 World Championship in Rotterdam, Netherlands.

Penev’s appointment to the U.S. Senior National Team runs through August’s U.S. Gymnastics Championships in Hartford, Conn., though he will still compete for Stanford this season. The Cardinal hosts Berkeley on Sunday at 6 p.m. at Maples Pavilion.

— Sam Fisher

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.