Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal softball blows out Santa Clara in home opener

After mustering only one run against Kentucky in its last game, No. 20 Stanford softball (5-2) had no trouble finding offensive rhythm at home on Wednesday night, taking down Santa Clara 8-0.

The Cardinal was blanked by Broncos pitcher Jessica Turner in the first inning, but the bats came alive soon enough as Stanford scored four total runs in the second and third innings.

Senior centerfielder and leadoff hitter Sarah Hassman went 2-for-3 and drove in three runs. Building off her impressive collegiate debut at the Kajikawa Classic, freshman catcher Jessica Plaza recorded two hits, including a double, and two RBI.

Junior designated hitter Danielle Miller and senior second baseman Tegan Schmidt each pitched in with an RBI.

Senior pitcher Teagan Gerhart dominated on the mound, giving up just one hit over five innings and fanning four batters. With the victory, Gerhart improved to 3-1 on the season.

Stanford will next play host to the Stanford Nike Invitational this weekend, facing Cal State Northridge, CSU Bakersfield, and UC-Davis. The Cardinal’s first game against Cal State Northridge is scheduled for a 2:15 p.m. start time on Friday.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger