RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal softball blows out Santa Clara in home opener

After mustering only one run against Kentucky in its last game, No. 20 Stanford softball (5-2) had no trouble finding offensive rhythm at home on Wednesday night, taking down Santa Clara 8-0.

The Cardinal was blanked by Broncos pitcher Jessica Turner in the first inning, but the bats came alive soon enough as Stanford scored four total runs in the second and third innings.

Senior centerfielder and leadoff hitter Sarah Hassman went 2-for-3 and drove in three runs. Building off her impressive collegiate debut at the Kajikawa Classic, freshman catcher Jessica Plaza recorded two hits, including a double, and two RBI.

Junior designated hitter Danielle Miller and senior second baseman Tegan Schmidt each pitched in with an RBI.

Senior pitcher Teagan Gerhart dominated on the mound, giving up just one hit over five innings and fanning four batters. With the victory, Gerhart improved to 3-1 on the season.

Stanford will next play host to the Stanford Nike Invitational this weekend, facing Cal State Northridge, CSU Bakersfield, and UC-Davis. The Cardinal’s first game against Cal State Northridge is scheduled for a 2:15 p.m. start time on Friday.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.