79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal softball blows out Santa Clara in home opener

After mustering only one run against Kentucky in its last game, No. 20 Stanford softball (5-2) had no trouble finding offensive rhythm at home on Wednesday night, taking down Santa Clara 8-0.

The Cardinal was blanked by Broncos pitcher Jessica Turner in the first inning, but the bats came alive soon enough as Stanford scored four total runs in the second and third innings.

Senior centerfielder and leadoff hitter Sarah Hassman went 2-for-3 and drove in three runs. Building off her impressive collegiate debut at the Kajikawa Classic, freshman catcher Jessica Plaza recorded two hits, including a double, and two RBI.

Junior designated hitter Danielle Miller and senior second baseman Tegan Schmidt each pitched in with an RBI.

Senior pitcher Teagan Gerhart dominated on the mound, giving up just one hit over five innings and fanning four batters. With the victory, Gerhart improved to 3-1 on the season.

Stanford will next play host to the Stanford Nike Invitational this weekend, facing Cal State Northridge, CSU Bakersfield, and UC-Davis. The Cardinal’s first game against Cal State Northridge is scheduled for a 2:15 p.m. start time on Friday.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.