@treeSIDjorge Yet the Cardinal has won the conference five times over that stretch...: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @treeSIDjorge: Two-time defending champion Stanford second in Pac-12 preseason media poll ... poll began in 1961, Cardinal not once pick…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @CWCameronWalker: By far the hardest decision of my life, but I will spend the next chapter of my life at Stanford University under Coac…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Four-star forward Cameron Walker, the nation's No. 61 player, just tweeted that he has committed to #Stanford. Huge get…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Cardinal softball blows out Santa Clara in home opener

After mustering only one run against Kentucky in its last game, No. 20 Stanford softball (5-2) had no trouble finding offensive rhythm at home on Wednesday night, taking down Santa Clara 8-0.

The Cardinal was blanked by Broncos pitcher Jessica Turner in the first inning, but the bats came alive soon enough as Stanford scored four total runs in the second and third innings.

Senior centerfielder and leadoff hitter Sarah Hassman went 2-for-3 and drove in three runs. Building off her impressive collegiate debut at the Kajikawa Classic, freshman catcher Jessica Plaza recorded two hits, including a double, and two RBI.

Junior designated hitter Danielle Miller and senior second baseman Tegan Schmidt each pitched in with an RBI.

Senior pitcher Teagan Gerhart dominated on the mound, giving up just one hit over five innings and fanning four batters. With the victory, Gerhart improved to 3-1 on the season.

Stanford will next play host to the Stanford Nike Invitational this weekend, facing Cal State Northridge, CSU Bakersfield, and UC-Davis. The Cardinal’s first game against Cal State Northridge is scheduled for a 2:15 p.m. start time on Friday.

About George Chen

George Chen is the President and Editor in Chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he worked at The Daily as the Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a junior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.