Rice leads new immigration policy task force

Condoleezza Rice, the former secretary of state and current Hoover Institution senior fellow, announced on Friday that she will be joining a bipartisan task force that aims to address issues related to immigration policy, including determining whether and how undocumented immigrants should be given a path to citizenship.

Former Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour, a Republican, and former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell and former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Henry Cisneros — both Democrats — are also part of the group, which will operate within the Washington, D.C.-based Bipartisan Policy Center (BPC).

With the exception of a speech she delivered at the Republican National Convention last year, the creation of the group marks Rice’s first significant foray into politics since the end of the George W. Bush administration in 2009. It came shortly after President Barack Obama urged Congress to design an immigration policy toughening border security while providing a path to citizenship for the more than 11 million undocumented immigrants currently living in the U.S.

“Securing our nation’s borders is not only a national security priority, it is important economically,” Rice said in a press release issued by the BPC.  “I am eager to develop a set of recommendations for immigration reform that both Republicans and Democrats can support.”