Stanford to open outpatient cancer center in San Jose

Stanford Hospitals & Clinics announced plans last week to build a new outpatient cancer center in San Jose. The center, which will be completed in 2014, will be Stanford healthcare system’s most comprehensive facility outpatient center other than of Palo Alto’s Stanford Hospital & Clinics and Redwood City’s Stanford Medicine Outpatient Center, according to a release from the Stanford Hospital.

“As an oncologist, I am excited about the opportunity to significantly expand patient access to Stanford’s cancer care and our nationally recognized quality programs,” Douglas W. Blayney ’72, medical director of the Stanford Cancer Center, said in a press release.

The new center will occupy an existing four-story, 70,000 square foot building at the intersection of State Route 85 and Los Gatos Boulevard. According to the press release, the facility will be staffed by a combination of physicians from Stanford and the local community. Patients will also benefit from the center’s Stanford affiliation in other ways including access to clinical trials, according to the statement.

“We’re extremely pleased to be able to provide residents of the South Bay region with convenient access to Stanford’s leading edge, patient-centered care,” said President of Stanford Hospitals Amir Dan Rubin in the press release. “With more than 300 ongoing clinical trials in cancer and pioneering work underway in genomics to develop targeted therapies, Stanford is helping lead the fight against this challenging disease.”