RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Rodgers leads men’s golf into Hawaii

No. 15 Stanford men’s golf starts the spring season today in Hawaii at the 22nd annual Amer Ari Invitational. Competition will be stiff as the Card goes up against five of the top 10 teams in the nation.

Sophomore Patrick Rodgers led the Card to third place in last year's Amer Ari Invitational. Rogers won Pac-12 Freshman of the Year last season and won the US Collegiate Championship in the fall. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/ stanfordphoto.com)

Sophomore Patrick Rodgers led the Card to third place in last year’s Amer Ari Invitational. Rogers won Pac-12 Freshman of the Year last season and won the US Collegiate Championship in the fall. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/ stanfordphoto.com)

“All the teams there are competitive,” head coach Conrad Ray told GoStanford. “It’s a type of course where you can make a birdie or an eagle or a couple of those in a row pretty quickly. I think if we’re about our own business, worrying about the course and just trying to shoot as low as we can, save shots, manage our team stuff mentally and manage the golf ball if there’s some wind, that’ll lead us to where we want to go.”

Last year Stanford placed third at 844 (-20), led by sophomore Patrick Rodgers. Rodgers won Pac-12 Freshman of the Year last season and earned first team All-American honors. This fall he captured the US Collegiate Championship and Australian Master of the Amateurs World Cup and was recently named to the Ben Hogan Award Watch List.

“I have been working hard this off-season and implementing some new things into my game,” Rodgers told GoStanford. “I chose to come to Stanford for many reasons but one of them is the depth of talented players on the team. I really look at all of our guys and take aspects of their games and try to learn from that.”

This time out Ray will start a lineup featuring Rodgers, seniors Andrew Yun and Steve Kearney, junior Cameron Wilson and freshman David Boote. Junior Shane Lebow will be competing as an individual.

Yun is the reigning Pac-12 champion and will be going to Hawaii for the fourth time in his collegiate career.

Wilson shot a course record 61 at the Gifford Intercollegiate in the fall after struggling with a back injury, earning him second place. The only other Stanford golfer to accomplish this feat was Tiger Woods.

Boote, the freshman from England, finished tied for third at the Pac-12 Preview.

Kearney nabbed the fifth and final spot to finish his career at Stanford with his first appearance in Hawaii. Always a consistently good ball striker, Kearney landed the spot by improving his putting game.

“We know there’s still a long ways [between] now and the NCAA Championship in May so the goal and the message I’ll be sending the guys is to try to pick up lessons as we go along,” Ray told GoStanford. “Great competition and the opportunity to test against a strong field will give you a lot of information of where you need to go.”

Contact Ashley Westhem at awesthem@stanford.edu

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and plans to take over as Managing Editor of Sports next volume and aid in KZSU’s coverage of football. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.