Yelizarova named MPSF Newcomer of the Week

Stanford women’s water polo freshman driver Anna Yelizarova was named the KAP 7 MPSF Newcomer of the Week, officially announced by the conference on Monday night.

Yelizarova reeled off 10 goals during the No. 6 Cardinal’s 3-0 run this past weekend, capturing its fourth consecutive Stanford Invitational victory. The Canadian Senior National Team member recorded a hat trick or better in two of the three games. Against No. 8 San Jose State on Saturday, Yelizarova found the back of the net five times and then followed up that performance with a three-goal effort against No. 3 UCLA on Sunday afternoon.

Helping the Cardinal to a perfect 8-0 start on the season, Yelizarova is currently tied with senior Melissa Seidemann as the team’s co-leader in goals scored (22).

About George Chen

George Chen is the President and Editor in Chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he worked at The Daily as the Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a junior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email eic@stanforddaily.com.