Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Women’s basketball sweeps Oregon and Oregon State

After capturing Pac-12 Player of the Week and two national honors last week, junior forward Chiney Ogwumike had a lot of attention pointed her way as the No. 4 Stanford women’s basketball team (20-2, 9-1) travelled to Oregon over the weekend.

Ogwumike exploited the outmatched Oregon and Oregon State teams to lead the Cardinal in a successful weekend sweep. She finished with 22 points and 13 rebounds in Friday’s matchup against the Ducks and had a career-high 32 points with 18 rebounds against the Beavers.

[MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily]

Junior forward Chiney Ogwumike led Stanford to a 65-45 victory over Oregon State on Sunday. [MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily]

The 86-62 rout of Oregon (3-8, 1-7) was not unexpected as the Ducks currently sit in last place in the Pac-12. The Card went to work early on in its first road game since Jan. 8 to gain a 23-6 lead in the first 10 minutes of play.
The Ducks, led by junior guard Ariel Thomas (17 points), hit a three-pointer just before half to put her team within nine at halftime. Freshman forward Jillian Alleyne also helped the Ducks by adding 13 points and 13 rebounds.
Oregon could not keep up the momentum after the halftime break as a pair of threes by junior guards Toni Kokenis (six points, five assists) and Sara James (11 points) put the game away. With the contributions of sophomore guards Taylor Greenfield and Bonnie Samuelson, Stanford hit 10 threes in the game.

Senior forward Joslyn Tinkle had a stellar defensive and offensive game with 16 points, six rebounds and four steals. Sophomore point guard Amber Orrange had nine points and nine assists to lead the Stanford offense to accumulate a season high 25 assists on 32 field goals.

Stanford leads the all-time series with Oregon, 45-8, including 15 straight against the Ducks dating back to Feb. 24, 2005.

In addition, Stanford head coach Tara VanDerveer captured her 400th Pac-12 win in Friday night’s win. VanDerveer is the only coach in conference history to win that many league games, and in the middle of her 27th season, she owns a record of 401-59 against the Pac-12 and has captured 20 conference titles.

The Card continued its crushing play over Oregon State (9-13, 3-7) on Sunday.
Stanford leads the all-time series with Oregon State, 49-6, and has come out on top in its past 25 games against the Beavers. Oregon State’s last win in the series came on Jan. 11, 2001.

Along with her career-high game in scoring, Ogwumike recorded her sixth consecutive double-double to lead the Card to a 65-45 win over the Beavers.

Similar to the situation on Friday night, the Card jumped out to an early lead, but allowed the Beavers to cut the lead to 35-26 at halftime.

Ogwumike opened the half with six-straight points, and Samuelson hit consecutive threes to stretch the Stanford lead to 49-28 in the second half.

Oregon State wasn’t ready to throw in the towel yet, though. Freshman guard Jamie Weisner (13 points) and sophomore guard Ali Gibson (12 points) helped narrow the deficit to 54-42 with 6:53 to play. However, the Card answered with five-straight points and never looked back.

Both teams shot impressively well—Stanford at 38.5 percent and Oregon State at 35.8 percent—considering that they top the Pac-12 in field goal percentage defenses.

Orrange and Samuelson combined for four three-pointers and had 12 points apiece. Stanford did not see the breadth of scoring from the rest of the team as it did against Oregon State aside from Ogwumike, Orrange and Samuelson.
The Card returns home this weekend with games against Arizona on Friday and Arizona State on Sunday.

About Ashley Westhem

Ashley Westhem is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She has been a desk editor for three volumes and now serves as Managing Editor of Sports. She is an American Studies major from Lake Tahoe, Calif., and aspires to work in sports administration, to positively affect the lives of student-athletes and the relationship between the athletic and academic spheres of universities.
  • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005050302044 Shofik Cit

Similar to the situation on Friday night, the Card jumped out to an
    early lead, but allowed the Beavers to cut the lead to 35-26 at halftime