RT @StanfordWVB: .@StanfordWVB (18-0) off to its best start to a season since 1994 (20-0), led today by Morgan Boukather's career high 18 k…: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
@andi_mcc @MsIngaSpoke @BlockInTheBack Thanks a lot. Never got sent quotes from last night's presser for some reason.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford drops to 4-3, the first time the Cardinal have three regular-season losses since 2009.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will fall out of the AP top-25 poll for the first time in 73 weeks.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Arizona State 26, Stanford 10, final.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan's 4th and 10 jump ball to Montgomery falls short, and that's going to do it.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
3rd and 10 with the game on the line... and why is Montgomery not out there?: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
This drive again a reminder that Stanford is not a team that plays from behind. This two-minute drill is kind of atrocious.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gonzalez knocks it in from 31. ASU takes a 26-10 lead.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Huestis, Ogwumike earn Pac-12 Player of the Week honors

Junior forwards Josh Huestis and Chiney Ogwumike earned Pac-12 Player of the Week honors for men’s and women’s basketball, respectively, after combining for a 4-0 record in the past week.

The honor is a Pac-12 record fifth of the season for Chiney Ogwumike, who now is just one shy of tying the career record of nine, set by Candice Wiggins ’08 and Jayne Appel ’10.

Ogwumike shot 56.8 percent over the weekend, averaging 27.5 points and 15.5 rebounds per game including a career-high 32-point effort on Sunday at Oregon State. With Ogwumike’s help, No. 4 Stanford (20-2, 9-1 Pac-12) swept through the Oregon road trip, beating Oregon by 24 on Friday and Oregon State by 20 on Sunday.

Chiney Ogwumike is having a spectacular season in her first year without big sister Nneka Ogwumike ’12, who was the No. 1 pick in the 2012 WNBA Draft by the Los Angeles Sparks. Ogwumike leads the Pac-12 in points per game (22.4) and field goal percentage (58.4) and is second to only Oregon’s Jillian Alleyne in rebounds per game by a margin of 0.2 rebounds per contest.

Josh Huestis becomes the first Stanford men’s basketball player to earn conference Player of the Week honors since Landry Fields ’10 won in February 2010. The junior averaged 15 points and 13 rebounds in Stanford’s home sweep of the Oregon schools last week.

In last Wednesday’s win over No. 10 Oregon, Huestis shot 6-9 from the field for 14 points and 13 rebounds while adding three blocks on the defensive end. The win represented the Cardinal’s first over a top-10 team in almost five years.

Men’s basketball travels to Tucson, Ariz., Wednesday to take on another top-10 conference foe, No. 7 Arizona. Chiney Ogwumike and the women’s basketball team will host Arizona on Friday night at 7 p.m. at Maples Pavilion.

About Sam Fisher

Sam Fisher is the managing editor of sports for The Stanford Daily's Vol. 244. Sam also does play-by-play for KZSU's coverage of Stanford football, Stanford baseball and Stanford women's basketball. In 2013, Sam co-authored "Rags to Roses: The Rise of Stanford Football," with Joseph Beyda and George Chen.