RT @StanfordFball: Stanford ranks No. 1 in the nation in scoring defense (4.3 ppg), total defense (204.3 ypg) and passing defense (66.0 ypg…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 35, Army 0. Final.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Looks like Stanford will preserve the shutout.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan connects with Montgomery for a 32-yard TD pass with 6:09 left: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery was down on the ground for a bit longer than normal. Looks like he's okay though.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tarpley doing what he's best at: pass coverage: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Great block by Johnny Caspers on the TD run.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Montgomery gets into the end zone out of the Wildcat. Stanford up 28-0 with 11:35 left in the game.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will take over at the Army 35.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEFS: Ogwumike named to Wooden Award Midseason Top 20, Penev wins second-straight Gymnast of the Week honors

Ogwumike named to Wooden Award Midseason Top 20

Stanford women’s basketball’s junior forward Chiney Ogwumike was recognized for her strong performance so far this season yesterday when she was named to the John R. Wooden Midseason Top 20 list.

The Cypress, Tex., native leads her team on both points and rebounds with 22.0 and 11.9 per game, respectively. She has racked up 13 double-doubles so far this year, including in a run of ten-straight contests, and, back in November, after helping Stanford to a win over then-No. 1 Baylor, she was named espnW’s inaugural National Player of the Week.

Stanford women's basketball's junior forward Chiney Ogwumike (13) was named to the John R. Wooden Midseason Top 20 on Tuesday.

Stanford women’s basketball’s junior forward Chiney Ogwumike (13) was named to the John R. Wooden Midseason Top 20 on Tuesday.

Ogwumike joins Baylor’s senior post Brittney Griner, Notre Dame’s senior guard Skylar Diggins and Delaware’s senior guard/forward Elena Delle Donne on the list. Last year, all four received WBCA All American honors and Griner, Diggins and Delle Donne were also named to the Wooden All American Team.

No. 6 Stanford will look to tighten its grip on the top of the Pac-12 table this weekend with matches against Utah and Colorado. The Cardinal currently shares the top spot with archrival California.

Penev wins second-straight Gymnast of the Week honors

Five-time All American senior Eddie Penev was named the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Gymnast of the Week for the second straight time yesterday.

The Stanford athlete’s performance against No. 4 Oklahoma, No. 9 Nebraska and No. 10 California last weekend helped the No. 2 Cardinal to a quad-meet victory, opening its season with two straight wins.

His two second-placed finishes on floor exercise and parallel bars also brought him a second all-around title of the season, with an all-around score that puts him second in the country this season. He is also ranked second in the NCAA on floor and third on all-around.

Next up, Stanford will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., to face No. 3 Michigan this Saturday.

—Tom Taylor

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.