79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEFS: Ogwumike named to Wooden Award Midseason Top 20, Penev wins second-straight Gymnast of the Week honors

Ogwumike named to Wooden Award Midseason Top 20

Stanford women’s basketball’s junior forward Chiney Ogwumike was recognized for her strong performance so far this season yesterday when she was named to the John R. Wooden Midseason Top 20 list.

The Cypress, Tex., native leads her team on both points and rebounds with 22.0 and 11.9 per game, respectively. She has racked up 13 double-doubles so far this year, including in a run of ten-straight contests, and, back in November, after helping Stanford to a win over then-No. 1 Baylor, she was named espnW’s inaugural National Player of the Week.

Stanford women's basketball's junior forward Chiney Ogwumike (13) was named to the John R. Wooden Midseason Top 20 on Tuesday.

Stanford women’s basketball’s junior forward Chiney Ogwumike (13) was named to the John R. Wooden Midseason Top 20 on Tuesday.

Ogwumike joins Baylor’s senior post Brittney Griner, Notre Dame’s senior guard Skylar Diggins and Delaware’s senior guard/forward Elena Delle Donne on the list. Last year, all four received WBCA All American honors and Griner, Diggins and Delle Donne were also named to the Wooden All American Team.

No. 6 Stanford will look to tighten its grip on the top of the Pac-12 table this weekend with matches against Utah and Colorado. The Cardinal currently shares the top spot with archrival California.

Penev wins second-straight Gymnast of the Week honors

Five-time All American senior Eddie Penev was named the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Gymnast of the Week for the second straight time yesterday.

The Stanford athlete’s performance against No. 4 Oklahoma, No. 9 Nebraska and No. 10 California last weekend helped the No. 2 Cardinal to a quad-meet victory, opening its season with two straight wins.

His two second-placed finishes on floor exercise and parallel bars also brought him a second all-around title of the season, with an all-around score that puts him second in the country this season. He is also ranked second in the NCAA on floor and third on all-around.

Next up, Stanford will travel to Ann Arbor, Mich., to face No. 3 Michigan this Saturday.

—Tom Taylor

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.