Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 5 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 6 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Corner Terrence Brown declares for NFL draft

Cornerback Terrence Brown, quietly one of Stanford’s most improved defenders this season, announced Tuesday he would forgo a fifth year on the Farm and enter the NFL Draft.

Senior Terrence Brown is leaving Stanford for the NFL after establishing himself as a lockdown corner this season. (SIMON WARBY/ The Stanford Daily)

“My admission to Stanford University in 2009 was a life-changing event for me, and all of the faculty, students and staff I have met since have truly blessed and enriched me,” Brown said in a statement. “I will forever and always be a Cardinal.”

He will still earn his degree in Science, Technology and Society this spring.

Brown started all 14 games for the Cardinal (12-2, 8-1 Pac-12) and was the team’s fifth-leading tackler with 65 stops this season. His 10 passes defended ranked only behind the figures posted by safeties Jordan Richards (15) and Ed Reynolds (11) and he notched two breakups each in Stanford’s upsets of top-five opponents USC and Oregon.

Brown also started nine times in 2011 while appearing in every game.

The announcement made Brown the third redshirt junior to pass up a fifth year this week, after tight ends Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo announced their departure Monday. But with Shayne Skov, Ben Gardner and Trent Murphy tweeting their decisions to stay at Stanford on Sunday, the Cardinal still returns nine starting defenders.

Sophomore Wayne Lyons and junior Barry Browning will be expected to step up in Brown’s absence.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger