Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wrestling: Card drops three duals in weekend action

It was a difficult weekend for the Stanford wrestling team, which fell to Arizona State (30-7), Penn (27-6) and Rutgers (33-3) on Sunday at the Stanford Duals in Burnham Pavilion. The Cardinal dropped to 4-6 overall and 0-1 in the Pac-12. ASU now stands at 6-4 overall and 2-0 in the Pac-12, while Penn improved to 4-1 and Rutgers is 10-1 on the year.

It was tough sledding for the Stanford wrestling team on Sunday, as the Card fell to Rutgers, Arizona State and Penn. Redshirt junior Bret Baumbach, however, earned two victories at 165 pounds. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal dropped eight of 10 bouts to ASU, but Bret Baumbach’s performance against the Sun Devils was a rare bright spot on the afternoon. The redshirt junior scored Stanford’s first points of the dual with an 11-3 major decision over Hans Rasmusson at 165 pounds. Baumbach led 6-1 after the first period as he scored two takedowns and registered two back points.

Rasmusson chose down to start the second and Baumbach capitalized with two more near fall points. He chose down to start the third and recorded the escape. After Rasmusson scored a takedown, Baumbach tallied another escape and tacked on his final point with 3:09 in riding time.

Stanford got back on the board in the final bout against the Sun Devils, when redshirt freshman Evan Silver picked up a 3-1 decision over Dalton Miller at 125 pounds. A takedown in the first period for Silver proved to be the difference-maker.

All in all, Stanford was outscored 74-21, with the Sun Devils earning three major decisions.

Against Penn, Baumbach was again one of just two Cardinal wrestlers to earn a win. He posted an 8-4 decision over Brad Wukie at 165 pounds. Trailing 4-3 after the first period, Baumbach tallied a takedown in the second to capture the lead. He finished off Wukie in the third with an escape and another takedown.

Junior heavyweight Dan Scherer also scored points for Stanford against Penn. He recorded a 3-1 sudden victory decision over Steven Graziano. Each wrestler scored an escape to force the extra time, where Scherer capitalized with a takedown.

Silver registered the lone win for the Cardinal against Rutgers. The 125-pounder trailed 4-3 after two periods. He chose down to start the third and scored an escape to force overtime. There, Silver recorded a takedown against Joseph Langel III for the sudden victory decision (6-4).

Also against the Scarlet Knights, true freshman Dylan Morris put up a good fight against 10th-ranked Greg Zannetti at 174 pounds. Morris came up just short in the final period, falling 7-5.

In the other duals of the day, Rutgers defeated Arizona State, 21-12, and Penn topped the Sun Devils, 27-10.

Stanford hits the road next week, travelling to the East Coast for four duals. The Cardinal will take on Brown, Maryland and Harvard on Saturday, Jan. 12 in College Park, Md. Stanford will wrap up the weekend at American University in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, Jan. 13.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger