Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 3 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 4 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Sam Werner with a great look that goes just wide. Less than 15 to play in regulation.: 4 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Both teams trading opportunities here at Cagan, though Stanford still has 7-4 shot, 2-0 corner advantage in second half.: 4 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Wrestling: Card drops three duals in weekend action

It was a difficult weekend for the Stanford wrestling team, which fell to Arizona State (30-7), Penn (27-6) and Rutgers (33-3) on Sunday at the Stanford Duals in Burnham Pavilion. The Cardinal dropped to 4-6 overall and 0-1 in the Pac-12. ASU now stands at 6-4 overall and 2-0 in the Pac-12, while Penn improved to 4-1 and Rutgers is 10-1 on the year.

It was tough sledding for the Stanford wrestling team on Sunday, as the Card fell to Rutgers, Arizona State and Penn. Redshirt junior Bret Baumbach, however, earned two victories at 165 pounds. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal dropped eight of 10 bouts to ASU, but Bret Baumbach’s performance against the Sun Devils was a rare bright spot on the afternoon. The redshirt junior scored Stanford’s first points of the dual with an 11-3 major decision over Hans Rasmusson at 165 pounds. Baumbach led 6-1 after the first period as he scored two takedowns and registered two back points.

Rasmusson chose down to start the second and Baumbach capitalized with two more near fall points. He chose down to start the third and recorded the escape. After Rasmusson scored a takedown, Baumbach tallied another escape and tacked on his final point with 3:09 in riding time.

Stanford got back on the board in the final bout against the Sun Devils, when redshirt freshman Evan Silver picked up a 3-1 decision over Dalton Miller at 125 pounds. A takedown in the first period for Silver proved to be the difference-maker.

All in all, Stanford was outscored 74-21, with the Sun Devils earning three major decisions.

Against Penn, Baumbach was again one of just two Cardinal wrestlers to earn a win. He posted an 8-4 decision over Brad Wukie at 165 pounds. Trailing 4-3 after the first period, Baumbach tallied a takedown in the second to capture the lead. He finished off Wukie in the third with an escape and another takedown.

Junior heavyweight Dan Scherer also scored points for Stanford against Penn. He recorded a 3-1 sudden victory decision over Steven Graziano. Each wrestler scored an escape to force the extra time, where Scherer capitalized with a takedown.

Silver registered the lone win for the Cardinal against Rutgers. The 125-pounder trailed 4-3 after two periods. He chose down to start the third and scored an escape to force overtime. There, Silver recorded a takedown against Joseph Langel III for the sudden victory decision (6-4).

Also against the Scarlet Knights, true freshman Dylan Morris put up a good fight against 10th-ranked Greg Zannetti at 174 pounds. Morris came up just short in the final period, falling 7-5.

In the other duals of the day, Rutgers defeated Arizona State, 21-12, and Penn topped the Sun Devils, 27-10.

Stanford hits the road next week, travelling to the East Coast for four duals. The Cardinal will take on Brown, Maryland and Harvard on Saturday, Jan. 12 in College Park, Md. Stanford will wrap up the weekend at American University in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, Jan. 13.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at