Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Wrestling: Card drops three duals in weekend action

It was a difficult weekend for the Stanford wrestling team, which fell to Arizona State (30-7), Penn (27-6) and Rutgers (33-3) on Sunday at the Stanford Duals in Burnham Pavilion. The Cardinal dropped to 4-6 overall and 0-1 in the Pac-12. ASU now stands at 6-4 overall and 2-0 in the Pac-12, while Penn improved to 4-1 and Rutgers is 10-1 on the year.

It was tough sledding for the Stanford wrestling team on Sunday, as the Card fell to Rutgers, Arizona State and Penn. Redshirt junior Bret Baumbach, however, earned two victories at 165 pounds. (MIKE KHEIR/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal dropped eight of 10 bouts to ASU, but Bret Baumbach’s performance against the Sun Devils was a rare bright spot on the afternoon. The redshirt junior scored Stanford’s first points of the dual with an 11-3 major decision over Hans Rasmusson at 165 pounds. Baumbach led 6-1 after the first period as he scored two takedowns and registered two back points.

Rasmusson chose down to start the second and Baumbach capitalized with two more near fall points. He chose down to start the third and recorded the escape. After Rasmusson scored a takedown, Baumbach tallied another escape and tacked on his final point with 3:09 in riding time.

Stanford got back on the board in the final bout against the Sun Devils, when redshirt freshman Evan Silver picked up a 3-1 decision over Dalton Miller at 125 pounds. A takedown in the first period for Silver proved to be the difference-maker.

All in all, Stanford was outscored 74-21, with the Sun Devils earning three major decisions.

Against Penn, Baumbach was again one of just two Cardinal wrestlers to earn a win. He posted an 8-4 decision over Brad Wukie at 165 pounds. Trailing 4-3 after the first period, Baumbach tallied a takedown in the second to capture the lead. He finished off Wukie in the third with an escape and another takedown.

Junior heavyweight Dan Scherer also scored points for Stanford against Penn. He recorded a 3-1 sudden victory decision over Steven Graziano. Each wrestler scored an escape to force the extra time, where Scherer capitalized with a takedown.

Silver registered the lone win for the Cardinal against Rutgers. The 125-pounder trailed 4-3 after two periods. He chose down to start the third and scored an escape to force overtime. There, Silver recorded a takedown against Joseph Langel III for the sudden victory decision (6-4).

Also against the Scarlet Knights, true freshman Dylan Morris put up a good fight against 10th-ranked Greg Zannetti at 174 pounds. Morris came up just short in the final period, falling 7-5.

In the other duals of the day, Rutgers defeated Arizona State, 21-12, and Penn topped the Sun Devils, 27-10.

Stanford hits the road next week, travelling to the East Coast for four duals. The Cardinal will take on Brown, Maryland and Harvard on Saturday, Jan. 12 in College Park, Md. Stanford will wrap up the weekend at American University in Washington, D.C. on Sunday, Jan. 13.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com