RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Alabama a unanimous national champion, Stanford finishes seventh in final AP poll

Alabama cruised past an overmatched Notre Dame squad 42-14 to win the BCS National Championship, then wrapped up its ninth Associated Press championship on Monday night with all 59 first-place votes. Stanford (12-2) finished seventh in the AP final poll and sixth in the final coaches’ poll.

In the second-to-last year before a national playoff system will be used to determine the national champion, Alabama (13-1) avoided most of the potential controversy by pushing Notre Dame (which came into the night ranked No. 1 in the BCS) all over the field at the Orange Bowl.

The Fighting Irish (12-1) dropped to No. 4 in the final AP rankings, which had Oregon (12-1) second and undefeated Ohio State (12-0) third despite being banned from the postseason because of NCAA sanctions.

Georgia and Texas A&M tied for fifth, with Stanford, South Carolina, Florida and Florida State rounding out the top-10.

The SEC once again led the way with six teams in the final ranking, while the Pac-12 finished with three teams in the Top-25.

Four of Stanford’s opponents finished ranked the final AP poll: No. 2 Oregon, No. 4 Notre Dame No. 20 Oregon State and No. 21 San Jose State. Rose Bowl opponent and Big 10 Champion Wisconsin was unranked.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com