PSA: student tickets are now available to be claimed for Saturday's matchup against USC: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: The news out of Stanford presser: LBs Hemschoot, Palma out. Noor Davis expanded depth role vs USC. Lil concerning given…: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Zach Hoffpauir will start at safety opposite Jordan Richards this Saturday for Stanford.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to 13th in the AP poll.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Card is now the second-highest Pac-12 team in the Coaches Poll -- UCLA slipped to 11 after its close win against Virginia.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford No. 10 in this week's Coaches Poll.: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: Huge props to @davidcohn4 whose call of the @TyMontgomery2 PR TD won him @NCAAFootball student-radio call of the week htt…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Alabama a unanimous national champion, Stanford finishes seventh in final AP poll

Alabama cruised past an overmatched Notre Dame squad 42-14 to win the BCS National Championship, then wrapped up its ninth Associated Press championship on Monday night with all 59 first-place votes. Stanford (12-2) finished seventh in the AP final poll and sixth in the final coaches’ poll.

In the second-to-last year before a national playoff system will be used to determine the national champion, Alabama (13-1) avoided most of the potential controversy by pushing Notre Dame (which came into the night ranked No. 1 in the BCS) all over the field at the Orange Bowl.

The Fighting Irish (12-1) dropped to No. 4 in the final AP rankings, which had Oregon (12-1) second and undefeated Ohio State (12-0) third despite being banned from the postseason because of NCAA sanctions.

Georgia and Texas A&M tied for fifth, with Stanford, South Carolina, Florida and Florida State rounding out the top-10.

The SEC once again led the way with six teams in the final ranking, while the Pac-12 finished with three teams in the Top-25.

Four of Stanford’s opponents finished ranked the final AP poll: No. 2 Oregon, No. 4 Notre Dame No. 20 Oregon State and No. 21 San Jose State. Rose Bowl opponent and Big 10 Champion Wisconsin was unranked.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com