Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Another Stanford header off of a corner goes wide: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Edwards for Skundrich: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford really lacking the last ball: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Vincent collides with heads with a UCI player: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Morris also back in: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Ty Thompson comes on for Austin Meyer: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UCI look as though they may be content to try and play for penalties, no one even attempted to get on the end of the last cross: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Water Polo: Maggie Steffens named FINA Player of the Year

Even before making her collegiate debut in the pool for Stanford, freshman water polo player Maggie Steffens cleaned up a major national award on Friday as the Olympic gold medalist for Team USA was named Best Female Water Polo Player of 2012 by the Federation Internationale De Natation (FINA).

Steffens was the youngest member of the United States’ team but had an immediate impact at the London Games, tying an Olympic record with seven goals in the first match of the tournament against Hungary. She finished the Games with 21 goals on 27 shots and netted five times in the Americans’ 8-5 win in the championship.

It was the first gold for Team USA at the Olympics in four tries, but the third championship Steffens has been a part of on the international scene, having played in the 2012 FINA World Super League Final and 2011 Pan-Am Games with her sister Jessica, who graduated in 2010.

The younger Steffens, a Danville, Calif. native who deferred her first year at Stanford in 2011-12 to train for the Olympics, will make her debut on The Farm Jan. 25 as the Cardinal takes on Michigan at 2 p.m. Stanford is the two-time defending national champion.

—Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.