Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 23 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Water Polo: Maggie Steffens named FINA Player of the Year

Even before making her collegiate debut in the pool for Stanford, freshman water polo player Maggie Steffens cleaned up a major national award on Friday as the Olympic gold medalist for Team USA was named Best Female Water Polo Player of 2012 by the Federation Internationale De Natation (FINA).

Steffens was the youngest member of the United States’ team but had an immediate impact at the London Games, tying an Olympic record with seven goals in the first match of the tournament against Hungary. She finished the Games with 21 goals on 27 shots and netted five times in the Americans’ 8-5 win in the championship.

It was the first gold for Team USA at the Olympics in four tries, but the third championship Steffens has been a part of on the international scene, having played in the 2012 FINA World Super League Final and 2011 Pan-Am Games with her sister Jessica, who graduated in 2010.

The younger Steffens, a Danville, Calif. native who deferred her first year at Stanford in 2011-12 to train for the Olympics, will make her debut on The Farm Jan. 25 as the Cardinal takes on Michigan at 2 p.m. Stanford is the two-time defending national champion.

—Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' to reach Do-Hyoung Park or to jwallach 'at' to reach Jordan Wallach, keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.