Shaw: No-call on Owusu hit was "questionable": 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
First and goal Stanford with 29 seconds remaining. Let's see which team wants it more.: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another catch for Arcega-Whiteside, who is now Stanford's second leading reciver: 12 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Trenton Irwin has 20 more yards than the rest of Stanford combined.: 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford gets the stop. Cardinal have 2:05, no timeouts, need a touchdown.: 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

W. Water Polo: Maggie Steffens named FINA Player of the Year

Even before making her collegiate debut in the pool for Stanford, freshman water polo player Maggie Steffens cleaned up a major national award on Friday as the Olympic gold medalist for Team USA was named Best Female Water Polo Player of 2012 by the Federation Internationale De Natation (FINA).

Steffens was the youngest member of the United States’ team but had an immediate impact at the London Games, tying an Olympic record with seven goals in the first match of the tournament against Hungary. She finished the Games with 21 goals on 27 shots and netted five times in the Americans’ 8-5 win in the championship.

It was the first gold for Team USA at the Olympics in four tries, but the third championship Steffens has been a part of on the international scene, having played in the 2012 FINA World Super League Final and 2011 Pan-Am Games with her sister Jessica, who graduated in 2010.

The younger Steffens, a Danville, Calif. native who deferred her first year at Stanford in 2011-12 to train for the Olympics, will make her debut on The Farm Jan. 25 as the Cardinal takes on Michigan at 2 p.m. Stanford is the two-time defending national champion.

—Miles Bennett-Smith

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.