RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 16 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Defenders Shayne Skov, Trent Murphy and Ben Gardner will return to Stanford to pursue 2013 national championship

Four days after leaving the field and celebrating Stanford’s 20-14 win in the 99th Rose Bowl, senior linebackers Shayne Skov, Trent Murphy and Ben Gardner announced that they will be returning to school next year to use their final year of eligibility and try to lead the Cardinal back to the Rose Bowl a year from now in the BCS National Championship.

After helping Stanford win the Rose Bowl, Shayne Skov (11) will return to school with several other key fifth-year seniors for their final years of eligibility. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

All three players had been considered likely draft selections in April’s upcoming NFL Draft and would have been picked anywhere from the second to sixth rounds.

Gardner let his Twitter followers know that he would be returning first. “For those who are wondering, I’ll be back at #StanU for my 5th year and another big #partyinthebackfield …got that crystal ball on my mind,” he tweeted on Saturday afternoon.

A short while later Skov replied back to Gardner “The Mohawk would never leave The Mullet behind #1moreyear.”

It was only a few hours after Skov’s tweet that Murphy joined the conversation and announced he too would be back on the Farm for one more season.

“Alright, alright, Wouldn’t be right to leave the crew behind. Your boy’s got #1moreyear at #StanU

Senior tight ends Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo have yet to announce whether or not they will declare for the 2013 NFL Draft — the deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft and forgo their remaining eligibility is Jan. 15. Ertz, a unanimous First Team All-American, has been evaluated as either the first or second-best NFL prospect at his position.

In what could have been the trio’s final game in cardinal and white, the Wisconsin-native Gardner made the Badgers pay for passing up on a native son by recording seven tackles and a pass deflection.

But it was Skov who showed flashes of returning to his dominant 2010 form with a team-high 11 tackles and several impressive plays in Stanford’s grinding victory. A torn MCL and ACL ended Skov’s 2011 season prematurely last September, and he has routinely said that he was still only playing at perhaps 85 percent by the end of this season.

Skov, Gardner and Murphy combined for 171 tackles this year, with Murphy chipping in a team-high 10 sacks and 18 tackles for a loss. Skov lead he team with 81 stops.

With the progression of a young offensive line and secondary, Stanford will likely enter the 2013 regular season with a top-five ranking and serious BCS title hopes.

Among the other senior players eligible and expected to return to the Farm next season are fullback Ryan Hewitt, cornerback Terrence Brown, offensive lineman Kevin Danser and defensive lineman Josh Mauro.

Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the score of the Rose Bowl as 24-14, not 20-14. We regret the error.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com
  • test

20-14 win

• WES

Confused about 3 players in opening sentence and reference to both (=2?).

• Anon

Yeah, writing makes no sense… Editors are clearly still on break! Is Murphy coming back or not? Either way, psyched about Gardner and Shayne. Already can’t wait for next year.

• Stanford nation

Serious run to national championship in 2013. Will have to stomp on Ducks again. And Golden Domers (who had to resort to biased officials) to win.

• Euler

Stanford’s Defense should be even better next year, with Carter, Richards, Reynolds, Vaughters, Shittu, etc having more experience, and the incorporation of Noor Davis.

The O-line should also be monstrous, so the questions are at TE, WR, and RB. There’s decent intriguing there, so if Hogan can step up a bit, yes, Stanford would be a serious National Championship contender.

• Editing :D

“Skov lead he team with 81 stops.” –> “the team”