M. Basketball: Card beats Lafayette, ends preseason at 9-4

Dec. 30, 2012, 1:39 p.m.

Stanford men’s basketball ended its nonconference season with a second consecutive close win on Saturday night, as the Cardinal (9-4, 0-0 Pac-12) survived Lafayette (5-10, 0-0 Patriot League) 65-59 at Maples Pavilion.

Freshman forward Rosco Allen had a career-high 11 points in Stanford’s 65-59 win against Lafayette on Saturday. (JOHN TODD/isiphotos.com)

The Leopards shot 11-of-19 from three-point range and narrowed Stanford’s lead to just two points in the final 30 seconds, but Stanford freshman Rosco Allen scored a career-high 11 points — nine of them in the closing minutes — to seal the victory.

“It was a good emphasis win for us going into the Pac-12 season,” the forward said. “We have to get a little bit of a roll going and coming back from Christmas break, we really needed this one.”

Sophomore guard Chasson Randle led all Stanford scorers with 16 points, and junior forwards Dwight Powell and Josh Huestis each reached double figures in rebounds. After getting off to a slow shooting start this season, the Cardinal has now shot above 40 percent from the floor in three straight games.

“I was really never worried about our ability to shoot the ball,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “That’s just something that will come. As long as we continue to defend, we’ll always put ourselves in a position to have a chance to win and that’s what we’ve done this preseason.”

Stanford jumped out to a 20-11 lead and took an eight-point advantage into halftime despite a 5-minute, 27-second scoring drought.  The Leopards went ahead for the only time with nine minutes remaining in the second half, but strong bench play by junior guard Aaron Bright (eight points) pushed the Cardinal back in front.

Stanford outrebounded Lafayette 46-26 overall and 14-2 on the offensive glass.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.