Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Card beats Lafayette, ends preseason at 9-4

Stanford men’s basketball ended its nonconference season with a second consecutive close win on Saturday night, as the Cardinal (9-4, 0-0 Pac-12) survived Lafayette (5-10, 0-0 Patriot League) 65-59 at Maples Pavilion.

Freshman forward Rosco Allen had a career-high 11 points in Stanford’s 65-59 win against Lafayette on Saturday. (JOHN TODD/isiphotos.com)

The Leopards shot 11-of-19 from three-point range and narrowed Stanford’s lead to just two points in the final 30 seconds, but Stanford freshman Rosco Allen scored a career-high 11 points — nine of them in the closing minutes — to seal the victory.

“It was a good emphasis win for us going into the Pac-12 season,” the forward said. “We have to get a little bit of a roll going and coming back from Christmas break, we really needed this one.”

Sophomore guard Chasson Randle led all Stanford scorers with 16 points, and junior forwards Dwight Powell and Josh Huestis each reached double figures in rebounds. After getting off to a slow shooting start this season, the Cardinal has now shot above 40 percent from the floor in three straight games.

“I was really never worried about our ability to shoot the ball,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “That’s just something that will come. As long as we continue to defend, we’ll always put ourselves in a position to have a chance to win and that’s what we’ve done this preseason.”

Stanford jumped out to a 20-11 lead and took an eight-point advantage into halftime despite a 5-minute, 27-second scoring drought.  The Leopards went ahead for the only time with nine minutes remaining in the second half, but strong bench play by junior guard Aaron Bright (eight points) pushed the Cardinal back in front.

Stanford outrebounded Lafayette 46-26 overall and 14-2 on the offensive glass.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.