RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 13 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer offside to end regular time, we're headed to golden goal and extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Batteer earns a corner on the counter: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Card beats Lafayette, ends preseason at 9-4

Stanford men’s basketball ended its nonconference season with a second consecutive close win on Saturday night, as the Cardinal (9-4, 0-0 Pac-12) survived Lafayette (5-10, 0-0 Patriot League) 65-59 at Maples Pavilion.

Freshman forward Rosco Allen had a career-high 11 points in Stanford’s 65-59 win against Lafayette on Saturday. (JOHN TODD/isiphotos.com)

The Leopards shot 11-of-19 from three-point range and narrowed Stanford’s lead to just two points in the final 30 seconds, but Stanford freshman Rosco Allen scored a career-high 11 points — nine of them in the closing minutes — to seal the victory.

“It was a good emphasis win for us going into the Pac-12 season,” the forward said. “We have to get a little bit of a roll going and coming back from Christmas break, we really needed this one.”

Sophomore guard Chasson Randle led all Stanford scorers with 16 points, and junior forwards Dwight Powell and Josh Huestis each reached double figures in rebounds. After getting off to a slow shooting start this season, the Cardinal has now shot above 40 percent from the floor in three straight games.

“I was really never worried about our ability to shoot the ball,” said head coach Johnny Dawkins. “That’s just something that will come. As long as we continue to defend, we’ll always put ourselves in a position to have a chance to win and that’s what we’ve done this preseason.”

Stanford jumped out to a 20-11 lead and took an eight-point advantage into halftime despite a 5-minute, 27-second scoring drought.  The Leopards went ahead for the only time with nine minutes remaining in the second half, but strong bench play by junior guard Aaron Bright (eight points) pushed the Cardinal back in front.

Stanford outrebounded Lafayette 46-26 overall and 14-2 on the offensive glass.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.