Get ready RT @dohyoungpark: If S. Carolina loses today, @StanfordFB will have longest active home win streak in the country (16) #TAMUvsSC: 22 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Big day for Stanford athletes -- @Gibbsyyyy wins again at the US Open, @Chiney321 is WNBA ROY, and @JmoSmooth13 named to USMNT roster: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @GrantWahl: As a rare college player selected for the US senior men's team, Stanford's Jordan Morris will not be paid by US Soccer like …: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @wilnerhotline: Comcast agrees to make @Pac12Networks available thru Pac12Now app, in addition to Xfinity. Goes live today at 1 p.m.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEFS: Four named Louisville Slugger Preseason All-Americans

Appel makes first team as four are named Louisville Slugger Preseason All-Americans

Junior rightfielder Austin Wilson was one of four Cardinal players named to Louisville Slugger Preseason All-America teams last Friday. (CASEY VALENTINE/StanfordPhoto.com)

Senior righthander Mark Appel was named to the Louisville Slugger Preseason All-America first team for the second consecutive year on Friday, as the first-round MLB Draft pick extended his list of honors after earning similar recognition from the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association on Dec. 12.

Junior outfielder Austin Wilson made the Louisville Slugger second team. Many analysts have the power hitter tabbed as an early first-round pick in the 2013 draft.

Junior first baseman Brian Ragira and sophomore third baseman Alex Blandino were named to the third team.

Ogwumike named Pac-12 Player of the Week

Forward Chiney Ogwumike was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week on Monday morning after averaging 21 points and 17 rebounds in the Cardinal’s recent road wins against No. 21 South Carolina and No. 10 Tennessee.

It was the third such honor for the junior this season and the sixth of her career. She has already rattled off streaks of three (Jan. 16, 23, 30) and two (Nov. 12, 19) consecutive Pac-12 Player of the Week Awards this calendar year.

Chiney is quickly closing in on older sister Nneka, who earned the award seven times during her storied Stanford career.

Lacrosse releases schedule

The Stanford lacrosse team announced its 2013 schedule on Friday as the team prepares to face four teams ranked at the end of last season.

The Cardinal’s season opener is a home game against Notre Dame at 3 p.m. on Feb. 16. Other notable contests at Cagan Stadium are the March 8 showdown against USC, which is in the first year of its lacrosse program, and the April 19 game against Oregon, which beat Stanford 13-7 on its home turf last season.

Stanford will also travel to face defending national champion Northwestern on April 14.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.