Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Stephens ineligible due to secondary NCAA violation; senior will miss Rose Bowl

Senior defensive tackle Terrence Stephens will miss the Rose Bowl due to a secondary NCAA violation regarding off-campus housing. (JOHN TODD/isiphotos.com)

Senior defensive tackle Terrence Stephens has been deemed “not eligible to participate in the Rose Bowl Game due to a secondary violation of NCAA rules regarding his rental of off-campus housing,” a University spokesperson confirmed in a statement Friday.

“I love my team and the work we’ve all put in to get to this point,” Stephens tweeted after the violation was made public. “My situation is irrelevant. Go to the Rose Bowl and cheer on a great team.”

Stephens missed the team’s last two games against UCLA to deal with what had been called “a personal matter.”

“It’s been an ongoing process,” head coach David Shaw told reporters after the team’s Friday practice. “There’s been a lot of information-gathering going on. Once all the dust settled, that’s what came out. We tried to make sure that we did the best service we could for Terrence, making sure we found out all the information that we could — the Pac-12 and the NCAA as well. And this is the final result.

“He knew that it was a possibility, but he was very disappointed,” Shaw added. “I was disappointed for him. He’s one of those guys that’s a fourth-year guy; he came here with the goal to play in this game. He’s done a lot of work to help us get there. His play against Oregon, his play against USC, was phenomenal. And it’s unfortunate, it’s one of the facts of life, and like I said we’re all going to handle it like Stanford men and move forward.”

Stephens made seven starts this season, registering 10 tackles and a sack. In his absence, junior David Parry has stepped up to anchor the defensive line.

Though the announcement marks the end of Stephens’ Stanford career, he will still be aiming to make an NFL roster next fall. CBS Sports has him listed as the 54th best defensive tackle prospect in the nation.

“He’s doing okay, he’s going to get his Stanford degree, he’s going to take his shot at the NFL,” Shaw said. “This is a minor bump in the road but we still hope the best for Terrence going forward.”

As of June 2011, Stanford was one of only four major-conference schools — at the time, including Penn State — to have never recorded a major NCAA violation. That is still the case, as the violation pertaining to Stephens was deemed “secondary” and not “major.”

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.