RT @speedracer13193: "Tonight we will enjoy our feast, but tomorrow is when we really eat." -Coach Turley: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @UWVolleyball 3, @StanfordWVB 1 (25-18, 25-21, 23-25, 25-20). Card drops first match of the year, falling to 28-1, …: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Of the 17 teams that went undefeated in the reg. season, only 5 went unbeaten in the tourney to become nat'l champs (most r…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: This week, @StanfordWVB will look to become the 18th DI team to go undefeated in the regular season since @NCAAVolleyball b…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @LombardiESPN: Big: Stanford WR Ty Montgomery will NOT play vs UCLA: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Stanford coach David Shaw said Ty Montgomery out for UCLA. Said after Cal game it was a right shoulder sprain.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford falls to UC Irvine 1-0 in extra time: 4 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEFS: Shaw named Bryant Coach of the Year finalist

Shaw a finalist for Bryant Coach of the Year Award

Stanford head coach David Shaw was named a Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award finalist for the second consecutive season on Tuesday. (CRAIG MITCHELLDYER/isiphotos.com)

Stanford football head coach David Shaw was named a finalist for the Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award for the second consecutive season, making him one of six coaches — and the only one west of the Rockies — in the running for the national honor.

Shaw, the two-time defending Pac-12 Coach of the Year, was a finalist in 2011 as well. The award will be given out after the end of bowl season.

Under Shaw, the Cardinal became the first school since 2000 to defeat the AP No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the same season. He is the only coach in Stanford history to begin his tenure with back-to-back seasons of 10 or more wins.

Mango wins Reno Tournament of Champions

Senior wrestler Ryan Mango moved to 10-0 and captured his second title of the 2012-13 season at the Reno Tournament of Champions on Sunday, pacing the Cardinal to an 11th-place team finish.

Wrestling at 133 pounds, Mango won by decision against Missouri Valley’s Logan Welch, Oregon State’s Anthony Harris, NC State’s Sam Speno and Boise State’s Brian Owen, also benefiting from a medical forfeit by Oregon State’s Drew Van Anrooy.

Stanford’s Timothy Boone and Jim Wilson both placed sixth in their weight classes, going 6-3 and 4-1, respectively, at the tournament.

Women’s basketball begins stretch against three straight ranked teams

The No. 1 Stanford women’s basketball team (9-0) will face unbeaten No. 21 South Carolina (10-0) in Columbia on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. PST. The Cardinal eliminated the Gamecocks in last year’s Sweet Sixteen.

Stanford will then travel to Knoxville to face No. 10 Tennessee (7-1) on Saturday afternoon. It will have a week off before hosting No. 2 Connecticut (8-0) at Maples Pavilion on Dec. 29.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.