79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 19 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

BRIEFS: Shaw named Bryant Coach of the Year finalist

Shaw a finalist for Bryant Coach of the Year Award

Stanford head coach David Shaw was named a Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award finalist for the second consecutive season on Tuesday. (CRAIG MITCHELLDYER/isiphotos.com)

Stanford football head coach David Shaw was named a finalist for the Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award for the second consecutive season, making him one of six coaches — and the only one west of the Rockies — in the running for the national honor.

Shaw, the two-time defending Pac-12 Coach of the Year, was a finalist in 2011 as well. The award will be given out after the end of bowl season.

Under Shaw, the Cardinal became the first school since 2000 to defeat the AP No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the same season. He is the only coach in Stanford history to begin his tenure with back-to-back seasons of 10 or more wins.

Mango wins Reno Tournament of Champions

Senior wrestler Ryan Mango moved to 10-0 and captured his second title of the 2012-13 season at the Reno Tournament of Champions on Sunday, pacing the Cardinal to an 11th-place team finish.

Wrestling at 133 pounds, Mango won by decision against Missouri Valley’s Logan Welch, Oregon State’s Anthony Harris, NC State’s Sam Speno and Boise State’s Brian Owen, also benefiting from a medical forfeit by Oregon State’s Drew Van Anrooy.

Stanford’s Timothy Boone and Jim Wilson both placed sixth in their weight classes, going 6-3 and 4-1, respectively, at the tournament.

Women’s basketball begins stretch against three straight ranked teams

The No. 1 Stanford women’s basketball team (9-0) will face unbeaten No. 21 South Carolina (10-0) in Columbia on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. PST. The Cardinal eliminated the Gamecocks in last year’s Sweet Sixteen.

Stanford will then travel to Knoxville to face No. 10 Tennessee (7-1) on Saturday afternoon. It will have a week off before hosting No. 2 Connecticut (8-0) at Maples Pavilion on Dec. 29.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to awesthem 'at' stanford.edu to reach Ashley Westhem, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.