Shaw on the Burns fumbled snap: "It was a poor center-quarterback exchange. It was supposed to be a pass and I saw two guys open.": 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We practiced outstanding the last two weeks...It's my job to figure out how to translate that to the game.": 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "I don't know if there's a better football player on defense in the country than Solomon Thomas.": 13 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're not playing at the level we need at the quarterback.": 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "Offensively, there's a lot of questions we have to answer as a staff...that's on me.": 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "The defense was outstanding...Coach Lance Anderson did a fantastic job.": 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
This is the first time Stanford failed to score a touchdown since the game-that-must-not-named (i.e. 2015 Northwestern): 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Burns hits Irwin who laterals it to McCaffrey who drops the ball before Love falls on it. Appropriate ending for a mess of a game.: 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford will have four seconds to make some magic happen. Unlikely but, hey, it's college football.: 14 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

BRIEFS: Shaw named Bryant Coach of the Year finalist

Shaw a finalist for Bryant Coach of the Year Award

Stanford head coach David Shaw was named a Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award finalist for the second consecutive season on Tuesday. (CRAIG MITCHELLDYER/isiphotos.com)

Stanford football head coach David Shaw was named a finalist for the Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year Award for the second consecutive season, making him one of six coaches — and the only one west of the Rockies — in the running for the national honor.

Shaw, the two-time defending Pac-12 Coach of the Year, was a finalist in 2011 as well. The award will be given out after the end of bowl season.

Under Shaw, the Cardinal became the first school since 2000 to defeat the AP No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the same season. He is the only coach in Stanford history to begin his tenure with back-to-back seasons of 10 or more wins.

Mango wins Reno Tournament of Champions

Senior wrestler Ryan Mango moved to 10-0 and captured his second title of the 2012-13 season at the Reno Tournament of Champions on Sunday, pacing the Cardinal to an 11th-place team finish.

Wrestling at 133 pounds, Mango won by decision against Missouri Valley’s Logan Welch, Oregon State’s Anthony Harris, NC State’s Sam Speno and Boise State’s Brian Owen, also benefiting from a medical forfeit by Oregon State’s Drew Van Anrooy.

Stanford’s Timothy Boone and Jim Wilson both placed sixth in their weight classes, going 6-3 and 4-1, respectively, at the tournament.

Women’s basketball begins stretch against three straight ranked teams

The No. 1 Stanford women’s basketball team (9-0) will face unbeaten No. 21 South Carolina (10-0) in Columbia on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. PST. The Cardinal eliminated the Gamecocks in last year’s Sweet Sixteen.

Stanford will then travel to Knoxville to face No. 10 Tennessee (7-1) on Saturday afternoon. It will have a week off before hosting No. 2 Connecticut (8-0) at Maples Pavilion on Dec. 29.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.