Over the 5-game win streak in the Big Game, Stanford has outscored Cal 201-75.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
None of Stanford's seniors will leave this school ever having lost the Big Game. Fifth straight claim to the Axe for your Cardinal.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford is bowl-eligible with its sixth win of the season!: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
And it's a final from California Memorial Stadium - Stanford 38, Cal 17 in the 117th Big Game.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's a senior victory formation for this Big Game - Eddie Plantaric, Ricky Seale, Jeff Trojan among the seniors out there.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford will just take knees to end the game instead of running up the score.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
There's turnover number 5 - an easy pick by Terrence Alexander. Almost a pick 6, but knocked out of bounds at the 4.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Gautam Krishnamurthi got in on that last drive for his final Big Game!: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Lasco hits the perimeter and rolls in for the garbage-time touchdown. It's now a 38-17 ballgame.: 11 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Volleyball: Michigan upsets No. 2 Card to end Stanford’s season in Regional Final

Setter Karissa Cook and Stanford’s three other seniors played their final collegiate match last Saturday, as Michigan upset No. 2 Stanford to end the Cardinal’s quest for its first national championship since 2004. (DAVID ELKINSON/StanfordPhoto.com)

The No. 2 Stanford women’s volleyball team’s season ended in the final of the Berkeley Regional of the NCAA tournament last Saturday, as it fell to Michigan in the tournament for the third time in four years.

The Wolverines, who lost in the Final Four on Thursday, pulled off the upset in four eerily symmetric sets, 25-20, 20-25, 20-25, 20-25. Pac-12 champion Stanford (30-4, 19-1 Pac-12) got 13 kills from junior blocker Carly Wopat and another double-double from freshman Jordan Burgess — who finished with 13 on the year — but could not overcome Michigan junior hitter Lexi Erwin’s 23 kills and 16 digs.

Stanford has now gone eight years without a national championship, the longest streak since its first title in 1992. It has won six conference titles over that same eight-year stretch.

The Cardinal loses four seniors to graduation: Hannah Benjamin, Jessica Walker, Karissa Cook and Hayley Spelman. Though none of them started more than nine matches this season, their departure will certainly leave a void on an already young team.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.