.@StanfordWSoccer will take on another Sunshine State squad when they face FSU in the semifinals next Friday in Boca Raton: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @samfisher908: What a day for @GoStanford! @StanfordWVB wins the @pac12 at Cal, @StanfordFball wins at UCLA and @StanfordWSoccer to the …: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
shades of Drew Hutchins last year as Campbell made two saves in the shootout and then put away the final shot to win: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Jane Campbell scores the deciding PK! The Card advances to the College Cup!: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Florida puts it away, 3-3 with one shot remaining in the shootout. Campbell to take the fifth shot for the Card.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Haley Rosen scores and now Florida must score to stay alive.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
2-2 now. First time Campbell guessed wrong.: 4 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Volleyball: Michigan upsets No. 2 Card to end Stanford’s season in Regional Final

Setter Karissa Cook and Stanford’s three other seniors played their final collegiate match last Saturday, as Michigan upset No. 2 Stanford to end the Cardinal’s quest for its first national championship since 2004. (DAVID ELKINSON/StanfordPhoto.com)

The No. 2 Stanford women’s volleyball team’s season ended in the final of the Berkeley Regional of the NCAA tournament last Saturday, as it fell to Michigan in the tournament for the third time in four years.

The Wolverines, who lost in the Final Four on Thursday, pulled off the upset in four eerily symmetric sets, 25-20, 20-25, 20-25, 20-25. Pac-12 champion Stanford (30-4, 19-1 Pac-12) got 13 kills from junior blocker Carly Wopat and another double-double from freshman Jordan Burgess — who finished with 13 on the year — but could not overcome Michigan junior hitter Lexi Erwin’s 23 kills and 16 digs.

Stanford has now gone eight years without a national championship, the longest streak since its first title in 1992. It has won six conference titles over that same eight-year stretch.

The Cardinal loses four seniors to graduation: Hannah Benjamin, Jessica Walker, Karissa Cook and Hayley Spelman. Though none of them started more than nine matches this season, their departure will certainly leave a void on an already young team.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.