RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Tyler Gaffney's path: minor-league baseball->1,700-yard 2013->NFL Draft->season-ending injury->waiver wire pickup while hurt. All in 2 yrs.: 8 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AdamSchefter: Patriots claimed former Panthers rookie RB Tyler Gaffney on waivers today after Carolina tried to sneak him through waive…: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @AndyLucksBeard: I hear Marcus Mariota is taking golf & yoga this quarter. My senior year was more demanding, and I'm just a beard. #go…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @agonzalezAP: Tough blow for former Stanford football/baseball star Tyler Gaffney w/ season-ending knee injury (via @SteveReedAP) http:/…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

W. Volleyball: Michigan upsets No. 2 Card to end Stanford’s season in Regional Final

Setter Karissa Cook and Stanford’s three other seniors played their final collegiate match last Saturday, as Michigan upset No. 2 Stanford to end the Cardinal’s quest for its first national championship since 2004. (DAVID ELKINSON/StanfordPhoto.com)

The No. 2 Stanford women’s volleyball team’s season ended in the final of the Berkeley Regional of the NCAA tournament last Saturday, as it fell to Michigan in the tournament for the third time in four years.

The Wolverines, who lost in the Final Four on Thursday, pulled off the upset in four eerily symmetric sets, 25-20, 20-25, 20-25, 20-25. Pac-12 champion Stanford (30-4, 19-1 Pac-12) got 13 kills from junior blocker Carly Wopat and another double-double from freshman Jordan Burgess — who finished with 13 on the year — but could not overcome Michigan junior hitter Lexi Erwin’s 23 kills and 16 digs.

Stanford has now gone eight years without a national championship, the longest streak since its first title in 1992. It has won six conference titles over that same eight-year stretch.

The Cardinal loses four seniors to graduation: Hannah Benjamin, Jessica Walker, Karissa Cook and Hayley Spelman. Though none of them started more than nine matches this season, their departure will certainly leave a void on an already young team.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to dpark027 'at' stanford.edu to reach Do-Hyoung Park, keeper of the souls of those sportswriters.