Solly!: 3 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Cardinal trail UCLA 10-3 at the half. Considering they sustained three injuries and two turnovers, might count themselves lucky.: 25 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside gets his first career reception on a big 3rd down throw from Burns. Stanford's depth has been as good as advertised so far.: 31 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Tough series of plays for the Cardinal but defense cuts their losses by holding UCLA to a field goal.: 36 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Now Meeks headed off the field. Stanford's secondary depth has been touted all season but will be seriously tested here.: 41 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Holder is still out of the game, so Stanford is faced with the challenge of stopping Rosen without its No. 1 corner. Mixed results so far.: 45 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another big break for UCLA as they avoid a targeting call on that Owusu catch.: 47 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Owusu appears to get hit in the helmet on 3rd and long completion/fumble, but no flag thrown. No. 6 currently headed to the locker room.: 49 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Bizarre turn of events leads to attempted pass from Trent Irwin to Ryan Burns. Pass interference call keeps the chains moving.: 53 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Rosen gets good protection but overthrows his receiver. Good stop by the Stanford D to set the Cardinal up in decent field position.: 58 mins ago, StanfordDaily Sports

W. Volleyball: Michigan upsets No. 2 Card to end Stanford’s season in Regional Final

Setter Karissa Cook and Stanford’s three other seniors played their final collegiate match last Saturday, as Michigan upset No. 2 Stanford to end the Cardinal’s quest for its first national championship since 2004. (DAVID ELKINSON/StanfordPhoto.com)

The No. 2 Stanford women’s volleyball team’s season ended in the final of the Berkeley Regional of the NCAA tournament last Saturday, as it fell to Michigan in the tournament for the third time in four years.

The Wolverines, who lost in the Final Four on Thursday, pulled off the upset in four eerily symmetric sets, 25-20, 20-25, 20-25, 20-25. Pac-12 champion Stanford (30-4, 19-1 Pac-12) got 13 kills from junior blocker Carly Wopat and another double-double from freshman Jordan Burgess — who finished with 13 on the year — but could not overcome Michigan junior hitter Lexi Erwin’s 23 kills and 16 digs.

Stanford has now gone eight years without a national championship, the longest streak since its first title in 1992. It has won six conference titles over that same eight-year stretch.

The Cardinal loses four seniors to graduation: Hannah Benjamin, Jessica Walker, Karissa Cook and Hayley Spelman. Though none of them started more than nine matches this season, their departure will certainly leave a void on an already young team.

—Joseph Beyda

About The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.