Shaw: No-call on Owusu hit was "questionable": 24 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
In the span of 25 seconds, Stanford scores 13 points to win the game. Cardinal escape a tough one in the Rose Bowl, 22-13.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
It's Hail Mary time in Pasadena.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Ten seconds left, UCLA needs 25 yards for a field goal attempt.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford leads 16-13, UCLA has 24 seconds to break their eight game losing streak to the Cardinal.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Arcega-Whiteside had no catches before this game. Huge day is an understatement.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
First and goal Stanford with 29 seconds remaining. Let's see which team wants it more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Another catch for Arcega-Whiteside, who is now Stanford's second leading reciver: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Trenton Irwin has 20 more yards than the rest of Stanford combined.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford gets the stop. Cardinal have 2:05, no timeouts, need a touchdown.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football: Backup QB Nottingham to transfer

Junior quarterback Brett Nottingham plans to transfer and will not join Stanford at the Rose Bowl next month, a University spokesperson confirmed Saturday. (JAMIE SCHWABEROW/ISI Photos)

Just four months after many expected him to be the next face of Stanford football, backup quarterback Brett Nottingham is transferring.

A University spokesperson confirmed Nottingham’s departure after Saturday’s practice. The junior will not be with the team for the Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day.

Nottingham was Andrew Luck’s primary backup last season, appearing in six games with 78 passing yards and a touchdown. But senior Josh Nunes, who was unavailable for much of 2011 with an injury, earned Luck’s old starting job on Aug. 22 to the surprise of many followers of the program, given Nottingham’s apparent edge in an open scrimmage just three days earlier. Nunes’ superior game-management skills and mastery of the Cardinal’s complex playbook — which Nottingham has now turned in — won him the spot over the younger Nottingham’s arm strength.

The emergence of current starter Kevin Hogan, a redshirt freshman, bumped Nottingham down to third in the pecking order late in the season. He is 5-for-8 with 22 passing yards in late-game action this year.

Nottingham has not specified which school he will be transferring to.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.