Stanford will play No. 1 Wake Forest (16-2-2) at Wake Forest next weekend.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
That's it folks. Stanford gets the 3-1 win off some beautiful goals from Morris (2) and Baird. On to the quarterfinals.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
GOAL STANFORD. Corey Baird puts the game out of reach. Stanford up two with just over 2 minutes to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
OSU shot goes wide. Less than 4 to play.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Andrew Epstein has had to be very active tonight. 6 saves so far, ties his season high from 10/18 vs. SDSU.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Things getting physical here at Cagan. Less than 10 to play, Buckeyes fighting to equalize things once more.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports
JORDAN. MORRIS. AGAIN. Gorgeous goal to put Stanford back up, 2-1. His 10th of the season, 2nd of the night.: 1 day ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football: Backup QB Nottingham to transfer

Junior quarterback Brett Nottingham plans to transfer and will not join Stanford at the Rose Bowl next month, a University spokesperson confirmed Saturday. (JAMIE SCHWABEROW/ISI Photos)

Just four months after many expected him to be the next face of Stanford football, backup quarterback Brett Nottingham is transferring.

A University spokesperson confirmed Nottingham’s departure after Saturday’s practice. The junior will not be with the team for the Rose Bowl on New Year’s Day.

Nottingham was Andrew Luck’s primary backup last season, appearing in six games with 78 passing yards and a touchdown. But senior Josh Nunes, who was unavailable for much of 2011 with an injury, earned Luck’s old starting job on Aug. 22 to the surprise of many followers of the program, given Nottingham’s apparent edge in an open scrimmage just three days earlier. Nunes’ superior game-management skills and mastery of the Cardinal’s complex playbook — which Nottingham has now turned in — won him the spot over the younger Nottingham’s arm strength.

The emergence of current starter Kevin Hogan, a redshirt freshman, bumped Nottingham down to third in the pecking order late in the season. He is 5-for-8 with 22 passing yards in late-game action this year.

Nottingham has not specified which school he will be transferring to.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at"