79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Ertz (unanimous) and Yankey (consensus) nab All-America honors as Cardinal collects postseason awards

Senior tight end Zach Ertz became Stanford’s third unanimous All-American in four years and the seventh in school history when he was named to the Associated Press All-America first-team on Saturday. (JOHN TODD/isiphotos.com)

Stanford football has earned a bevy of individual recognitions since it clinched the Pac-12 Championship on Nov. 30, with senior tight end Zach Ertz becoming just the seventh unanimous All-American in Stanford history and the first tight end in college football to earn that honor since 2004.

Ertz was named a first-team All-American by the Associated Press, American Football Coaches Association, Sporting News and Walter Camp Football Foundation to earn the unanimous distinction. Since the turn of the century, the only other Cardinal players to earn every recognized first-team selection are David DeCastro in 2011 and Toby Gerhart in 2009.

Junior offensive lineman David Yankey became a consensus All-American last week, earning recognition by Sporting News and the Associated Press. Ertz and Yankey are the 30th and 31st consensus All-Americans in school history.

The versatile Yankey, who has played at every offensive line position but center this season, was also one of two winners of the Pac-12 Morris Trophy, given to the top linemen in the conference, on Tuesday. Yankey earned the award after a vote by Pac-12 defensive linemen.

Offensive lineman David Yankey earned consensus All-America honors this week. The junior’s versatility was heavily exploited this season by the Cardinal. which lost two linemen in the early rounds of the NFL Draft after last season. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

Not to be outdone by their offensive brethren, outside linebacker Trent Murphy and free safety Ed Reynolds represented Stanford’s dominant defense on the Associated Press third team.

***

Senior wide receiver Drew Terrell, who caught the game-tying touchdown in the Pac-12 Championship, accepted an invitation to play in the Casino Del Sol College All-Star Game earlier this month. The Jan. 11 showcase, which is in its second year, featured six NFL draft picks and 61 other NFL training camp participants in 2012.

***

Defensive line coach Randy Hart was named the FootballScoop Defensive Line Coach of the Year on Monday. The third-year assistant coached a Cardinal defense whose 56 sacks (and counting) are a school record.

FootballScoop also named Stanford’s Matt Doyle its Director of Football Operations of the Year on Thursday. In his sixth season in that position at Stanford, Doyle “keeps Stanford organized,” head coach David Shaw told GoStanford.com. “Matt keeps our coaches and players informed, in line and in position to be successful.”

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.