Shaw on how he expects the team to respond: "I've got a locker room full of Stanford guys. They're leaders...I expect them to bounce back.": 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "We're going to attack like we're 0-12...but not overreact.": 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Shaw: "They played extremely well...We got ourselves behind the eight ball." Identified third down and noise as big problems: 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Total domination from the Huskies tonight. Chris Petersen and his staff deserve a lot of credit for coming out firing and never letting up: 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Isaiah Brandt-Sims records his first career catch in his home state: 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford came into this game having allowed 3 total TDs. Cardinal have given up 6 tonight: 16 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Huskies add another touchdown. First time Stanford has surrendered over 40 points since 2014 at Oregon. UW leads 44-6.: 17 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
KJ Carta-Samuels in at QB. Inherits a very different situation compares to last year: 17 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports
Stanford rolling in second unit on the defensive line here: 17 hours ago, StanfordDaily Sports

Football: Barry Alvarez to lead Wisconsin against Stanford in Rose Bowl

The day after Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema left his job in Madison to take the head coaching position at Arkansas, Bielema announced that former Badgers football coach and current athletic director Barry Alvarez will coach the team in the Rose Bowl against Stanford.

Former Badgers coach Barry Alvarez (above) will return to coach Wisconsin against Stanford in the Rose Bowl (PHOTOGRAPH BY JOE KOSHOLLEK/MILWAUKEE JOURNAL SENTINEL).

A member of the College Football Hall of Fame, Alvarez doesn’t lack for experience in Pasadena, having led the Badgers to three Rose Bowl wins in 1994, 1999 and 2000 (when he beat Stanford 17-9). He retired from coaching 2005, turning the program over to his handpicked successor, Bielema, but has been the athletic director at Wisconsin since 2004.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, a source close to Alvarez said the team’s captains reached out to Alvarez and asked him to coach the team against Stanford on Jan. 1. Alvarez told them he would be “honored” to do so.

In many ways, Alvarez was the perfect choice at the perfect moment for Badgers fans, who have been buzzing about the possibility of bringing back the coach who sparked Wisconsin’s recent 15-year run of success for an encore in the Rose Bowl. When Alvarez arrived in Madison before the 1990 season, he inherited one of the Big Ten’s worst programs. Sixteen seasons later, he had three Rose Bowl trophies, a place in the College Football Hall of Fame and a bronze statue of him outside Camp Randall Stadium.

His reputation stands in stark contrast to Bielema’s, particularly at the moment with questions swirling about Bielema’s departure. He reportedly wanted to coach the Rose Bowl after leaving for Arkansas, according to some reports, which irked many Badgers fans. And then there was the revelation from Arkansas athletic director Jeff Long that Bielema had sent him a letter in September, a rare and seemingly shifty move for any coach.

In any case, his return to the sidelines to face Stanford on New Year’s Day will assuredly fire up his players, who suffered through an up-and-down 8-5 season in the Big Ten that was marked by several losses in close games.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com