RT @StanfordSports: Our recap of Stanford's 45-0 win. Key takeways: McCaffrey has a bright future and the O-line still needs to gel http://…: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @StanfordSports: And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily

Card reader system to expand to Row houses, cost $5.5 million

Access Control Enterprise System (ACES) card readers will soon be installed on Row houses, according to a joint statement to The Daily from the offices of Rodger Whitney, executive director of Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE) Student Housing, and Jay Kohn, director of card services for Information Technology Services (ITS).

ITS card services and R&DE Student Housing declined to give the total cost of the project, stating, “the costs of the implementation in R&DE Student Housing are part of the global university initiative.” According to the IT Services website, the cost of equipping the row will be $5.5 million dollars, with $2.5 million coming from the R&DE budget.

Houses in the Cowell Cluster are currently being surveyed in advance of the installation.

The majority of “large residences” are already equipped with the card readers, which are being installed on all undergraduate residences and all graduate residences that have interior hallways. The large residences that do not have ACES card readers “will receive these modifications when fully renovated via the capital program in the near future,” according to the press release.

The card readers installed at Columbae, Durand, 717 Dolores, Kappa Sigma, Theta Delta Chi and 680 Lomita were not installed as part of the ACES project and will be replaced by card readers to be installed under ACES, according to the statement.

The readers will be installed on Row houses in small groups, with the schedule to be determined after installations have taken place on five houses, according to the statement. Installations will take anywhere from a few weeks to a month or more, depending on the complexity of the project. The installation process will be followed by a one-week pilot period during which residents can scan their ID for entry but before the key locks have been removed.

ITS operates the ACES card reader system, with R&DE Student Housing managing the individual card readers in residences. ITS’s facilities engineering group, R&DE Student Housing and R&DE’s projects group are responsible for installing the card readers.

About Alice Phillips

Alice Phillips is The Daily's Managing Editor of Copy. Previously, she has served as the paper's Deputy Editor, a News Desk Editor, and a Staff Writer. She is a Film Studies major from Los Angeles.