79-77 is your final from Provo after a furious comeback falls barely short at the end. Card get No. 9 Texas in Austin next. Tough draw.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card looked sloppy and lost at times, but this team's resiliency is really something else. Just won't go away easily.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford and Randle got the looks that they wanted at the end, and the shots just didn't fall. That happens, not much you can do about that.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card get the ball back down 79-77 with 4.8 to go, and Randle misses the buzzer-beater. BYU wins by that final score.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle misses the long 3 on a clean look. Stanford will get the ball back with a chance.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Travel. Stanford down 2, gets the ball back and can kill the clock.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Randle with the clutch 3! We have a two-point game, 79-77 with just under a minute to go. ESPNU. Don't miss this ending.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two forced turnovers later, it's back to a 77-72 game. Stanford doing whatever it can to stick around.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford playing sloppy ball, BYU playing clean, foul-free ball on the other end. It's 72-59 Cougars, who have opened it up with 5 to play.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema to take position at Arkansas, likely out of Rose Bowl

Wisconsin football head coach Bret Bielema will leave the Badgers to take the recently-vacated head coaching position at Arkansas, according to reports Tuesday from Yahoo Sports and ESPN.

Reports have Wisconsin coach Bret Bielema headed to take the top spot at Arkansas, likely ruling him out of coaching the Badgers against Stanford in the Rose Bowl. (Mark Hoffman/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/MCT)

The 42-year-old Bielema would be leaving the only job he’s had as a head coach–he took over the reins in Madison from Barry Alvarez after two seasons as the Badgers’ defensive coordinator. A former nose guard for Iowa, Bielema has an impressive career 68-24 record at Wisconsin, with four seasons with 10 or more victories. The Badgers also secured their third consecutive Rose Bowl bid on Saturday after pummeling Nebraska in the Big Ten Conference championship game.

If confirmed, Bielema’s decision to leave Camp Randall will have a drastic impact on the Badgers’ preparations to face Stanford on New Year’s Day, now less than a month away.

While Arkansas has yet to make an official announcement, the Razorbacks are unlikely to allow Bielema to coach the Badgers in the game, hoping for him to instead hit the recruiting trail hard in the NCAA’s two-week “contact period” for football coaches. The Hogs suffered their way to a 4-8 season under interim coach John Smith after former head coach Bobby Petrino was fired following a scandal involving a mistress who was on his payroll and a motorcycle accident.

Bielema would also likely take several assistant coaches with him to Fayetteville, possibly including associate head coach/defensive coordinator Charlie Partridge, a key to the Badgers’ defensive fronts.

Nevertheless, reports still have Bielema hoping to coach in the Rose Bowl this season, which some say could be a public relations ploy to make Bielema seem loyal with the actual chances he makes his way to Southern California very remote.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com