Football: Ertz and Yankey named AFCA All-Americans

Stanford can’t focus on postseason awards just yet with No. 17 UCLA and a potential Rose Bowl berth looming at Friday’s Pac-12 Championship game, but the No. 8 Cardinal received some more national recognition on Wednesday when senior tight end Zach Ertz and junior offensive tackle David Yankey were both named to the American Football Coaches Association All-American Team.

One of the five All-America teams officially recognized by the NCAA, the AFCA All-American Team is chosen by polling the nation’s coaches, and they have been appreciative of Stanford’s talent in recent years, selecting two players on the team in each of the last two seasons.

This year, Ertz leads tight ends in the Football Bowl Series with 818 receiving yards and is tied for first with 63 receptions, both school records. A John Mackey Award finalist, the 6-foot-6 Ertz is likely to be one of the first tight ends selected if he declares for the 2013 NFL Draft. He caught game-winning touchdowns in victories over No. 2 USC and No. 13 Oregon State earlier this season, as well as the game-tying score in Stanford’s upset of No. 2 Oregon.

Yankey will join Ertz in the NFL, if not in this year’s draft then certainly in next year’s as one of the top offensive lineman in the country. A starter at left tackle, Yankey has shifted from tackle to guard and back again, playing four of the five offensive line positions at one time. He has allowed just one sack this season, part of the unit that has allowed the fewest sacks in the Pac-12.

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at [email protected]