Parry knew he wasn't going to play all week and he acted as an extra coach and mentor to Phillips as the week progressed.: 60 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says it's good to see explosive TD strikes again because "that's the kind of players we've got.": 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
As coaches, the staff was looking to make the game as simple and fun as possible for offense. "Streamlining" was a word that was used: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw attributes the sacks to great coverage forcing Mannion to not get the ball off more than anything else.: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Point blank: what we had been doing wasn't good enough." Shaw about the offense: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw says that the world was never crashing down for the team inside the locker room. Never felt that way.: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
"Washington State was close, but for the first time offensively, it felt like us." - Shaw: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 38, Oregon State 14. Final.: 1 hour ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Eddie Plantaric in at fullback! Can't remember that happening in the recent past: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Ertz and Yankey named AFCA All-Americans

Stanford can’t focus on postseason awards just yet with No. 17 UCLA and a potential Rose Bowl berth looming at Friday’s Pac-12 Championship game, but the No. 8 Cardinal received some more national recognition on Wednesday when senior tight end Zach Ertz and junior offensive tackle David Yankey were both named to the American Football Coaches Association All-American Team.

One of the five All-America teams officially recognized by the NCAA, the AFCA All-American Team is chosen by polling the nation’s coaches, and they have been appreciative of Stanford’s talent in recent years, selecting two players on the team in each of the last two seasons.

This year, Ertz leads tight ends in the Football Bowl Series with 818 receiving yards and is tied for first with 63 receptions, both school records. A John Mackey Award finalist, the 6-foot-6 Ertz is likely to be one of the first tight ends selected if he declares for the 2013 NFL Draft. He caught game-winning touchdowns in victories over No. 2 USC and No. 13 Oregon State earlier this season, as well as the game-tying score in Stanford’s upset of No. 2 Oregon.

Yankey will join Ertz in the NFL, if not in this year’s draft then certainly in next year’s as one of the top offensive lineman in the country. A starter at left tackle, Yankey has shifted from tackle to guard and back again, playing four of the five offensive line positions at one time. He has allowed just one sack this season, part of the unit that has allowed the fewest sacks in the Pac-12.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com
Advertisment ad adsense adlogger