Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 7 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 15 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Shaw named Pac-12 Coach of the Year, 24 players earn individual conference honors

Football Head Coach David Shaw was named the 2012 Pac-12 Coach of the Year on Monday when the conference awards were announced—24 players earned individual honors as well.

In just his second year as Stanford’s head coach, Shaw has now won the award for two straight years. Only three other coaches in conference history have earned the honor in back-to-back seasons.

Football head coach David Shaw became the fourth coach in conference history to earn Pac-12 Coach of the Year honors in back-to-back seasons. Just in his second year at the helm, Shaw guided his team to a Pac-12 North Division title and has the Cardinal knocking at the front door of the Rose Bowl. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

“When your peers vote for you, I can’t tell you how much I appreciate what guys think of the work that we’ve done here,” said Shaw.

Shaw guided his team to a 10-2 regular season record, giving the Cardinal three consecutive 10-win seasons for the first time in school history. Despite the fact that not a single voter in the preseason media poll picked Stanford to play in the Pac-12 Championship Game, it won the North Division title and has the chance to lay its hands on the conference trophy Friday night.

The former Stanford wide receiver credits his coaching staff for the team’s continued success. In particular, defensive coordinator Derek Mason has been named a semifinalist for the Broyles Award, given annually to the nation’s best college football assistant coach.

“The biggest thing is I’m going to reward my coaches,” Shaw said. “This is a coaching staff award. I can’t tell you how much Derek Mason has done for this defense, how much Pep Hamilton has done training our young quarterback getting him ready to play and utilizing Zach Ertz and our running game coordinator [Mike Sanford] putting Stepfan into position to do what he does.”

Five Stanford players were named to the All-Pac-12 First Team. Tight end Zach Ertz and offensive lineman David Yankey were selected for the offensive unit while linebackers Trent Murphy and Chase Thomas and safety Ed Reynolds represented the Cardinal on defense. Stanford tied Oregon for placing the most players on the first team.

An additional five Cardinal players—running back Stepfan Taylor, offensive linemen Kevin Danser and Sam Schwartzstein and defensive ends Henry Anderson and Ben Gardner—were awarded second-team selections. Stanford also had the most honorable mentions with 14 players.

“We recruit not just great players, we recruit the right kind of players,” said Shaw. “We recruit the guys who can do well in school here and play well and play physical and play tough. And when games get tough and get tight they don’t fold they band together.

“I’ve been saying this for years before I even got this job,” he continued. “We win games here because of our locker room. Our locker room is tight. We’ve got great guys. I couldn’t imagine coaching a better group of human beings. I don’t think anybody has a better group of guys in their locker room.”

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.
  • yourhighschoolswimcoach

well done Mr. Chen