RT @AJTarpley: Just repaying the favor @ArizonaFBall: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @ksvoboda: Stanford @khoagie8 becomes 1st @StanfordFball QB to defeat UCLA 4 times. #GoStanford: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidParry58: Our debt to Arizona is paid: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hey Arizona, let's call it even, okay?: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordRivals: Off the top of my head, this was the best performance by a Stanford quarterback since Andrew Luck in the Fiesta Bowl ag…: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford 31, UCLA 10. Final.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
The Rose Bowl empties in earnest.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford leads in yardage 416-179.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
UCLA is effectively done - 21 points in 10:40 against this Stanford defense is probably too much for any non-Oregon offense in the country.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Williamson money from 34. Stanford stretches the lead to 31-10.: 3 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Stanford eclipses Northern Iowa behind 36 from Randle and Brown

Stanford’s trip to the Bahamas finally paid dividends on Saturday afternoon, as the Cardinal pulled away from Northern Iowa 66-50 behind sophomore guard Chasson Randle’s second consecutive 20-point performance.

After losing over two seasons of his career to ACL tears, senior Andy Brown has become Stanford’s fourth-leading scorer this season (38 points) without even having made a start. (DON FERIA/isiphotos.com)

Randle’s 21 and 15 more from senior Andy Brown — who has quickly become a surprise contributor off the bench this season — pushed Stanford past a Panthers team that knotted the game up at 30 at halftime.

“Once you lose a game, sometimes it can snowball for you and I am really proud of my kids’ maturity and how we approached today’s game against a very good team,” head coach Johnny Dawkins told GoStanford.com. “Our guys … responded to the kind of challenge I gave them. I was so proud of our effort, especially in the second half.”

Brown, who sat out multiple seasons after three ACL tears to his left knee, set career highs in points, rebounds (six) and minutes (29) on Saturday and could provide leadership to a team that lost four seniors last season.

It was a rough day for Stanford’s star juniors; forward Dwight Powell ran into early foul trouble for the second time in a week, tallying just two points in his 17 minutes, and Aaron Bright and Anthony Brown both sat out with injuries. But forwards Josh Huestis and John Gage picked up their classmates, combining for 16 points and 11 rebounds in their extended playing time.

The Cardinal (4-2) now plays Minnesota (5-1) in Saturday’s fifth-place game at 12:30 p.m. PST in a rematch of last season’s NIT Finals, which Stanford dominated 75-51 on the strength of 15 points each by Randle and Bright. The matchup will be televised on AXS.TV, which can be found on channel 764 for Comcast Digital Cable customers in the Palo Alto area.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the executive editor of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.