Arizona get two first downs, one after a 3rd down, up to 50-yd line.: 4 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Nickel out there for Stanford is Taijuan Thomas. Another new look.: 5 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
With UCLA loss, Utah and Cal remain the only undefeated teams in conference. Who would've thunk it.: 6 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
End of the 1st. Stanford looking dominant on both sides of the ball. Also, that was the first quarter of season that Zona has not scored in.: 8 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Over the last three quarters, the Stanford defense has allowed 17 total rushing yards.: 9 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
That play also marked the first career rushing touchdown for McCaffrey.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
First three drives for Stanford: 43, 65, 63 yards. Setting tempo behind confident Hogan and McCaffrey finding holes.: 11 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
MCCAFFREY WITH THE TD. 79 yds for the sophomore with 48 sec. to play in the 1st quarter. That's right -- the 1st quarter. Stanford up 13-0.: 12 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Hogan weaves around defense, throws to Cajuste for a 32-yd gain. First down in the red zone.: 14 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Francis Owusu picks up the first down on a five-yard gain for Stanford. McCaffrey follows with another for the Cardinal.: 15 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Stanford eclipses Northern Iowa behind 36 from Randle and Brown

Stanford’s trip to the Bahamas finally paid dividends on Saturday afternoon, as the Cardinal pulled away from Northern Iowa 66-50 behind sophomore guard Chasson Randle’s second consecutive 20-point performance.

After losing over two seasons of his career to ACL tears, senior Andy Brown has become Stanford’s fourth-leading scorer this season (38 points) without even having made a start. (DON FERIA/

Randle’s 21 and 15 more from senior Andy Brown — who has quickly become a surprise contributor off the bench this season — pushed Stanford past a Panthers team that knotted the game up at 30 at halftime.

“Once you lose a game, sometimes it can snowball for you and I am really proud of my kids’ maturity and how we approached today’s game against a very good team,” head coach Johnny Dawkins told “Our guys … responded to the kind of challenge I gave them. I was so proud of our effort, especially in the second half.”

Brown, who sat out multiple seasons after three ACL tears to his left knee, set career highs in points, rebounds (six) and minutes (29) on Saturday and could provide leadership to a team that lost four seniors last season.

It was a rough day for Stanford’s star juniors; forward Dwight Powell ran into early foul trouble for the second time in a week, tallying just two points in his 17 minutes, and Aaron Bright and Anthony Brown both sat out with injuries. But forwards Josh Huestis and John Gage picked up their classmates, combining for 16 points and 11 rebounds in their extended playing time.

The Cardinal (4-2) now plays Minnesota (5-1) in Saturday’s fifth-place game at 12:30 p.m. PST in a rematch of last season’s NIT Finals, which Stanford dominated 75-51 on the strength of 15 points each by Randle and Bright. The matchup will be televised on AXS.TV, which can be found on channel 764 for Comcast Digital Cable customers in the Palo Alto area.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at"