RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 12 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @TyGaff: Sincere appreciation to @Panthers nation for the support and love. I couldn't have asked for anything more given my injury. Tha…: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

M. Basketball: Stanford hangs tight with No. 13 Missouri at Battle 4 Atlantis but falls 78-70

With just under three minutes remaining, unranked Stanford was smelling an upset, trailing by just two points against the No. 13 Missouri Tigers at the preseason Battle 4 Atlantis tournament from Nassau, Bahamas. But the Tigers (4-0) pulled through, making key free throws down the stretch and winning the first round matchup, 78-70.

Junior Josh Huestis (24) scored seven points and added six boards, but Stanford couldn’t seal the upset bid and lost to No. 13 Missouri, 78-70 (Stanford File Photo).

Led by guard Phil Pressey, Missouri opened up a 10-point lead in the first half over the Cardinal (3-2), which was without the services of starting point guard Aaron Bright, out due to an ankle injury.

But key contributions off the bench from juniors Robbie Lemons and John Gage, as well as senior Andy Brown, sparked Stanford to a 12-0 run, and the game remained close for the duration.

Chasson Randle had 20 points on 6-13 shooting and Dwight Powell chipped in 18, but the story of the game was Stanford’s bench, which repeatedly energized the Cardinal offense and kept Frank Haith’s Tigers off balance.

Lemons hit a deep 3-pointer, Gage followed with another of his own and Lemons hit two free throws on the run that pushed Stanford into a tie at 28-28 just before the half.

Missouri continued to feed the interior, however, as Laurence Bowers had a game-high 19 points and 11 boards, Alex Oriakhi had 13 and four and Pressey finished with 18 points of his own.

Stanford was done in by 18 turnovers, eight more than the Tigers, and lost the battle on the boards, not usually a recipe for success.

Gage finished with 10 points on 4-10 shooting, and Lemons had five points, playing active defense with Brown in their time on the court. Brown drew a key charge in the second half, taking a knee straight to the midsection.

Stanford struggled to get going on the inside, relying mostly on its outside shooting and the midrange game to score its points. When the Cardinal came out of the gates without the hot hand, continuing a cold streak that was evident against Belmont last weekend, it was tough to climb back into the game against a very good Missouri team that many analysts believe could make a deep NCAA Tournament run in March.

The Cardinal will now face the loser of the matchup between Northern Iowa and No. 2 Louisville.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com