Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 10 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 17 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 20 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 25 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: This just feels like another one of those five-set marathon matches. Par for the course between these two teams.: 25 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Two straight points for the Lions after the timeout, take first lead in the set since 6-5. Dunning calls another timeout.: 25 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
18 all in the third set. Timeout Stanford.: 28 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Huge get from Bugg around the net, Howard with the bump kill. 18-16 Cardinal in the 3rd.: 30 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford up 15-14 in the middle of the third set.: 33 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Four PSU attack errors, two service errors have Card up 8-6 in the third set. Lion head coach Russ Rose calls timeout.: 40 mins ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Defensive tackle Terrence Stephens out against UCLA with ‘personal matter’

Stanford has confirmed earlier reports that defensive tackle Terrence Stephens will miss the upcoming game against UCLA to remain on campus and “take care of a personal matter.”

The senior from Gaithersburg, Md., is a big part of the Cardinal’s interior defense, starting seven of the team’s 11 games this season and all 13 last year. This year he has 10 total tackles, three tackles for a loss and a sack. He had a career-high five tackles, including two for a loss, and a sack in Stanford’s win over Oregon State two weeks ago.

Junior David Parry is the listed backup at nose guard and will likely fill Stephens place, although Stephens was still listed on the team’s depth chart as the projected starter as of Wednesday night. Parry did not see action as a freshman but was Stephens’ backup last season and recorded six tackles in limited action.

Stanford must beat the Bruins this weekend, or else hope Oregon loses to Oregon State, in order to secure a berth in the Pac-12 Championship Game as the Pac-12 North Division champion. The Cardinal would then host UCLA again next Friday night from Stanford Stadium with a Rose Bowl invitation on the line.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com