Shaw says front seven making up for lack of size with plenty of speed and quickness. Specific praise for Alfieri and Scarlett.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw: "Everybody in our conference can beat everybody in our conference. It's the Wild West every single week.": 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
On Hogan: "if he gets that ankle healthy, he once again becomes a dual threat in the pocket." Makes the bye week more important.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @dohyoungpark: Shaw: "We need this bye." Doesn't think a bye week will slow down the team's roll.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw individually praised McCaffrey, Sanders, Love and Wright. Clearly very pleased with his backfield.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Shaw on Hogan: "He's playing the best football of his career.": 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Well that's just about it folks. Stanford improves to 4-1, 3-0 in Pac-12. Your final score from Stanford Stadium: Stanford 55 - Arizona 17.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Chryst has Risen. The sophomore QB to Stallworth, the first TD for both of them. Stanford breaks into the 50s, 4:03 to play.: 18 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Defensive tackle Terrence Stephens out against UCLA with ‘personal matter’

Stanford has confirmed earlier reports that defensive tackle Terrence Stephens will miss the upcoming game against UCLA to remain on campus and “take care of a personal matter.”

The senior from Gaithersburg, Md., is a big part of the Cardinal’s interior defense, starting seven of the team’s 11 games this season and all 13 last year. This year he has 10 total tackles, three tackles for a loss and a sack. He had a career-high five tackles, including two for a loss, and a sack in Stanford’s win over Oregon State two weeks ago.

Junior David Parry is the listed backup at nose guard and will likely fill Stephens place, although Stephens was still listed on the team’s depth chart as the projected starter as of Wednesday night. Parry did not see action as a freshman but was Stephens’ backup last season and recorded six tackles in limited action.

Stanford must beat the Bruins this weekend, or else hope Oregon loses to Oregon State, in order to secure a berth in the Pac-12 Championship Game as the Pac-12 North Division champion. The Cardinal would then host UCLA again next Friday night from Stanford Stadium with a Rose Bowl invitation on the line.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at