Stanford at 11th in the first coaches poll of the season.: 14 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @DavidMLombardi: Also, coach Shaw’s and Ty Montgomery’s comments today had a much more optimistic vibe re: Montgomery’s arm injury than …: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jjarcega_22: Blessed to officially be committed to Stanford University!! #GoCard #NerdGang #Cali 🌲♦️🏈🙏: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWTennis: .@CarolZhao95 is moving on at the @BOTWClassic! With Zhao leading 6-2, 1-0, @wickytennis retires and the match is done…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Upset alert at Bank of the West Classic: rising Stanford sophomore Carol Zhao takes 1st set against world's No. 65 player, Yanina Wickmayer.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
#FullbackU RT @RWilliams_6: I am very blessed and honored to announce my commitment to STANFORD UNIVERSITY. #GoCardinal 🌲🌲🌲: 3 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Defensive tackle Terrence Stephens out against UCLA with ‘personal matter’

Stanford has confirmed earlier reports that defensive tackle Terrence Stephens will miss the upcoming game against UCLA to remain on campus and “take care of a personal matter.”

The senior from Gaithersburg, Md., is a big part of the Cardinal’s interior defense, starting seven of the team’s 11 games this season and all 13 last year. This year he has 10 total tackles, three tackles for a loss and a sack. He had a career-high five tackles, including two for a loss, and a sack in Stanford’s win over Oregon State two weeks ago.

Junior David Parry is the listed backup at nose guard and will likely fill Stephens place, although Stephens was still listed on the team’s depth chart as the projected starter as of Wednesday night. Parry did not see action as a freshman but was Stephens’ backup last season and recorded six tackles in limited action.

Stanford must beat the Bruins this weekend, or else hope Oregon loses to Oregon State, in order to secure a berth in the Pac-12 Championship Game as the Pac-12 North Division champion. The Cardinal would then host UCLA again next Friday night from Stanford Stadium with a Rose Bowl invitation on the line.

About Miles Bennett-Smith

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at eic@stanforddaily.com