Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 1 day ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 2 days ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Football: Skov named national defensive player of the week as Card climbs to eighth in BCS

On the heels of No. 13 Stanford’s stunning 17-14 upset of No. 2 Oregon in overtime last night, senior inside linebacker Shayne Skov this morning was named the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week.

Senior inside linebacker Shayne Skov, one of the most vocal leaders on the team, recorded a team-high 10 tackles in helping Stanford upset Oregon 17-14 in overtime. For his efforts, Skov was named the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week. (Grant Shorin/Stanfordphoto.com)

The senior recorded a team-high 10 tackles, including seven solo efforts and one tackle for loss. Skov played a key role in the Cardinal’s masterful defensive performance that held the nation’s highest-scoring offense to seven points in the first half and 14 points in total.

The Stanford defense also held the Ducks in check for 198 rushing yards, 77 of which came on one play via quarterback Marcus Mariota’s sideline dash in the first quarter.

Mariota, who came into the game with the highest passing efficiency in the nation, was under heavy pressure from the Cardinal’s pass rush for much of the game and completed less than 60 percent of his throws.

With the win in Autzen, Stanford snapped Oregon’s 13-game winning streak, the longest in the nation, and rose to No. 11 in the AP Top 25 poll today. It also moved up to No. 8 in the BCS, though Stanford’s shot at a BCS at-large berth is unlikely.

About George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.