RT @StanfordSports: Our recap of Stanford's 45-0 win. Key takeways: McCaffrey has a bright future and the O-line still needs to gel http://…: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily
RT @StanfordSports: And that's the ballgame. Stanford routs UC-Davis 45-0.: 1 day ago, The Stanford Daily

Students protest for Gaza in White Plaza

Members from the Stanford Students for Palestinian Equal Rights (SPER) and others formed a sit-down blockade in White Plaza starting at noon. They were briefly joined by history professor Clayborne Carson. According to organizers, the format of the protest was intended to “symbolize the Israeli blockade and siege of Gaza.” The protest was organized by a coalition of student groups.

We will protest the Israeli assault and economic chokehold on Gaza, and will rally students to demand that the University divest from companies implicated in the illegal Israeli occupation of Palestine,” read a statement sent by SPER member Anna McConnell ’14 to multiple mailing lists.

A maximum of 35 students participated, including 10 core members of SPER. Some of the protestors plan to participate in an “emergency protest against the Israeli war on Gaza” at 4 p.m. in front of the Israeli Consulate at 456 Montgomery St. in San Francisco.

“Showing our solidarity for the people of Gaza and Palestine is one of the most important issues that Stanford students can take on right now,” McConnell said.

The protestors also called for passersby to join the divestment campaign launched in 2006, calling on Stanford to stop investing its endowment in companies that contribute to “the oppression of the Palestinian people,” according to SPER.

The protestors sat in an oval by the “Circle of Death” roundabout, semi-blocking the path from the Main Quad to White Plaza. Some bikers were forced to dismount in order to go around the demonstration.

“We want to put more of a burden on Stanford students who otherwise might be uneducated or apathetic to the atrocities that are going on and to care and to respond to them,” said SPER member and Daily columnist Kristian Davis Bailey ’14.

- Ileana Najarro

Marwa Farag contributed to this report

About Ileana Najarro

Ileana Najarro is the Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a News Desk Editor and Staff Writer.
  • http://www.facebook.com/people/John-R-Grout/1350187330 John R. Grout

The Left’s continued anti-Semitism disgusts me. I wish there were a vigorous counter-demonstration in support of Israel and against the Hamas.

• harrydevlin

Geez, don’t blame “the left” for a few uninformed, low-information, students that joined this protest. These protesters need to be educated, but don’t imply that they represent “the left.” They’re just a few anti-semitic individuals that should consider self-deporting.

• Royce Tse

I wonder why they don’t have concern for Israeli civilians being targeted by thousands of Hamas rockets. Idiots.

• sasboy

Maybe you should try living under siege or occupation instead of living a comfortable life in America. That way you will realize why the Israelis are the world’s most hated people and not without good reason. They deserve to be fully boycotted.

• sasboy

Have you ever considered “self deporting” to Israel ?

• sasboy

May because it is because the number of Israelis killed by Hamas’s makeshift rockets is a fraction of the number of Palestinians killed by Israel’s brutal assault on the people of Gaza.
    Or maybe because they are joining the growing number of Americans sick and tired of how the parasitic Israeli public grows fatter and fatter courtesy of the $ 3 billion dollars American taxpayers provide them while millions of Americans are suffering due to the economic crisis.

• Royce

Since when is number killed indicitive of which side is just and moral. Many more Nazi fighters died compared to the Allies in WW2.

• libsrclowns

Over the past 2 months, hundreds of missiles have been fired into Israel. The Hamas led scum deserve to be punished. If the scum hide among women and children, innocents will die.

Note to Palistinians…quit being used.

• libsrclowns

Wrong again boy. The Palestinians are being occupied by Muslim scum who use them. Until the Palestinians wise up, they will continue to have their butts kicked.

• libsrclowns

Sasboy is living proof that lack of critical thinking runs rampant among Palestinian apologists.

• jessie

Let’s be real here…blocking students who are trying to get places isn’t going to make them support a cause. It’s going to piss them off.

• Free Palestine!!!!

Ha. Maybe it’s because Palestinians are under illegal occupation by Israel, who continues to treat the Palestinians horribly, humiliating them and taking away their freedom. Israelis on othe other hand are partying it up in tel aviv, while Palestinians are trying to get through life with basic necessities. Think about that.

• Free Palestine!!!

Does killing innocent civilians also disgust you? Is it wrong, according to you, to stand up for people who are stripped from their basic human needs/rights? Anti-semitism? People in Palestine are dying and you think this is about anti-semitism? People of the world actually care about the Palestinians who live under terrible conditions! How can you stand there and support that? It is disgusting how YOU do not see how Israel in general affects the Palestinian Arabs. It is disgusting how you do not feel for those people who are being killed, who have their homes demolished by soldiers, who have their land and rights taken away from them, who are discriminated against. Do you even care about human rights? Because it sure doesn’t look like it.

• Free Palestine!!!

Actually, when Israel ends the occupation, and ends its apartheid regime, the Palestinians will be free. “Occupied by Muslim scum”- take a history lesson yeah? Its israel who illegally and brutally occupies palestine. And drop the racist attitude cause that isn’t going to help you anywhere.